Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17-j184na Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello there

I recently have experienced trouble with audio on my laptop. I like to use a headset sometimes for gaming however the last couple of days I have had trouble with getting the microphone on the headset to work. After looking on this page in the forums: https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03421813 and following the steps, I managed to get the headset to work successfully. 

However, in fixing one issue has created another. My laptop: HP ENVY 17-j184na Notebook PC which uses Win 10 64-bit OS with Beats Audio does not work. I have found the drivers for the Beats speaker was conflicting with my headset. Normally this never used to be an issue, I used to be able to watch youtube or netflix et al and then plug in my headset and start playing games with no issue at all. I use the microphone as I talk to people througha range of programes including Discord and Skype. Whilst trying the troubleshooting, I used the Skype Echo / Sound Test Service to find out if my mic was working or not. My headset is using the audio jack and before I could just plug it in and it would switch no problem at all but this past few days has not been the case and now I find myself here writing for help.

Without the Beats Audio on, it only uses the other internal speaker and feels like you lose half the volume. With the Beats on, when I plug my headset in, the microphone does not work. It was through a process elemination, I have found that the beat drivers must be conflicting with the audio jack connection.

So to reiterate, the following are steps I have taken already to fix the issue:

Checked the headset hardware

Updated to the latest drivers - (it was up to date and no rollback is available)

Used the troubleshooting tool

Configured the sound settings in Windows including changing the default speaker to the headset under both recording and playback and checked the levels.

The headset I am using is the Kotion Each headset https://www.gearbest.com/headsets/pp_265768.html?wid=1433363&currency=GBP&vip=15026391 and the USB connection which I plug in everytime I use my headset is for the lights on the side only. 

As I said, I can use one or the other bit not both. If the Beats Drivers are installed, my mic on the headset does not work however I the beats drivers are not installed, the headset works fine but I lose some audio.

Here is a link for the spec of my laptop https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c04373502

Why is the Beats Audio software conflicting with my headset mic and more importantly how can I fix this please?

Many thanks in advance.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.