Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 m6 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Yesterday, I was watching Netflix on my laptop with my headphones, and it was working fine. I closed my laptop, went into another room and proceeded to start listeneing to Pandora about 30 minutes later. I  noticed that there was no sound coming from my headphones, so I checked that the sound was not muted on the headphones. I tried updating the drivers and everything. When I plug my headphones into the 3.5 mm jack, I get a notification that there has been a device plugged into the audio jack, but that is it. In the playback devices menu, there is nothing about headphones, just speakers. I have tried multiple different pairs of headphones, so it isn't those. The speakers work just fine, but no audio output to the headphone jack.
Product Number:  W2K56UA#ABA

Processor:  AMD FX-9800P Radeon R7

Aduio:  Bang and Olufsen

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @NO1JGFN,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

I need a few details to provide an accurate solution:

When was the last time a headphone worked on your laptop?

Have you made any software or hardware changes?

As I understand the headphone aren't working on your laptop and here's what I need you to do:

Check those headphones with an alternate device such as a Smartphone, laptop, etc... If they work on the alternate device, check if the Headphones are enabled as a playback device.

To do this, please see the steps below:

* Click the Start Pearl and then type Sound in the Start Search Box.

* Select Change Sound Card Settings in the Start Menu Options.

* Next, under the Playback Tab, right click and select Show Hidden Devices and Show Disconnected Devices if available.

* Select Headphones and enable

To Increase the volume on your headphone:

Method 1

* Right-click the volume icon in the notification area.

* Click Open Volume Mixer and increase the volume for Headphones.

Method 2

* Right-click the volume icon in the notification area.

* Go to Playback devices and right click Headphones under Playback.

* Go to Properties and set the volume to the maximum under Levels tab.

* Click Apply and OK.

For more specific steps, click here ( Document is for Windows 8, however, the settings are same for Windows 10)

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Thanks & Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The last time headphones worked on my laptop was on Monday November 28 around 11 AM CST. At about 12 PM CST, they were not working.

To my knowledge, there have been no hardware or software changes. I have spent time running HP troubleshooting programs to update/reinstall sound drivers.

HP Recommended

I tried right-clicking on the sound settings as you suggested. There is still nothing regarding headphones shown. All that I have shown are two options:  Speakers and Digital Display Audio. No headphones.

HP Recommended

Hi @NO1JGFN,

Thanks for replying. I understand you have followed the steps and still having the same issue. Don't worry you can try few other steps which should help to resolve the issue.

1. Try with a different headphone and check if it works. If it works then it seems to be an issue with the headphones.

2. If that does not work, then you can try to perform a system restore to a previous date where it was working fine. Here is the link.

3. If the issue persists before we come to a conclusion that it's a hardware failure you could try and perform a system recovery which would set the computer back to the factory shipped settings.

Note: Please remember to backup any important files as this will wipe off everything from the computer. Link to perform system recovery

If the recovery fails, then I would recommend you contact HP phone support for ordering a set of recovery media. Please fill in the product details to get the tech support number.

What you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process: 

Step 1. Open link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect 
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options" 
Step 4. Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number 
Case number and phone number appear. 

Let me know how it goes. I'll be happy to help you.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.