Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roye1195
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

High definition audio device cannot start (code 10)

ENVY TouchSmart 15-j184sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After restoring my laptop I now get the following error for "High definition audio device" in device manager:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful.

First thing I tried was updating all drivers which did not change anything. I then tried reinstalling the driver provided on the hp support site as well as uninstalling through device manager and installing again from the hp support site.

I have also tried fully restoring my laptop and reinstalling Windows but this has not solved it. I am not sure if this is an issue from the driver provided online or if it is my laptop.

I have tried running the "find and fix audio playback problems" tool which just suggests updating/reinstalling the driver...

Windows audio is already started in Services.

I have checked for the upper/lower filter entry in regedit, which weren't there.

Can anyone help advising what else I can troubleshoot or if there is another site I can use to try download this driver?

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,360 12,338 1,165 2,404
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

High definition audio device cannot start (code 10)

Hi @Roye1195,

Good Day! Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! 🙂 I understand that you have audio issues with the computer. It will be a genuine pleasure to assist you here. 🙂

Brilliant effort and superb diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂 I am amazed at your technical expertise. 🙂  Such copious and exhaustive troubleshooting makes even a technician proud.  Spectacular stuff. Kudos to you for a job well done. 🙂

We greatly value your relationship with HP. You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you.:)

For better clarity and to assist you better, I would like more information regarding this.

• Did this happen after any hardware changes (Like installing a new hard drive or adding RAM) were made to the computer?
  • Did you reinstall windows from the original HP recovery media?

For now, Please run the audio diagnostics on the computer from this link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467259 and follow the option “Running the UEFI Component Tests” Please run the audio tests only on the machine. This diagnostics will determine exactly if there is any hardware issue with the sound card of the computer.

If the diagnostics fail, please contact HP phone support to get the unit serviced.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

If diagnostics pass, then please contact HP phone support to order recovery media and perform a  complete system recovery using these to factory settings. That should do the trick for you. Link for recovery: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04758961

and follow the option “System recovery using HP supplied recovery media”

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.:)

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation