Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 14-ce0501sa
Microsoft Windows 11

I want to digitise my vinyl records by connecting my turntable to my HP Pavilion 14 inch laptop, but it appears to have no "line in" socket. Is the socket hidden somewhere? Is it possible to use a USB socket? I can't help feeling it should be possible to do this!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Robmon 

It does have microphone but  it is much better to have an external sound card such as

https://www.aliexpress.com/popular/external-sound-card-line-in.html

You also need to convert vinyl records to digital therefore please read the following guide first

https://www.turntablelab.com/pages/recording-vinyl-into-your-computer-guide

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@Robmon -- is this your laptop: HP Pavilion - 14-ce0501sa Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

On that page, under External Ports, I see: 1 headphone/microphone combo

How old is the turntable? 

Years ago, the low-levels of signal being output by such antique turntables must be connected to the "microphone" input on the computer, not to the high-level signals by a modern turntable that must connect to a "line-in" socket on the computer.

The computer amplifies low-level signals that come from the microphone-input socket, but it does not need to amplify high-level signals, such as from a cassette-deck.

HP Recommended

Thanks Banhien. This is really helpful.

HP Recommended

Thanks for responding to my question. 

You have correctly identified my computer and it does only have one external jack-plug socket. The symbol next to this is a pair of headphones, but there is no microphone symbol. I use it to connect to external speakers but if the specs say that this is also a microphone socket, then I suppose it must be.

My turntable is a fairly basic one and is almost 20 years old. It has two RCA phono sockets for left and right "line out", and a switch to turn the pre-amp on or off. If this qualifies it as "antique", do you think that connecting the two phono sockets to the phones/mic socket on my computer with a stereo jack plug would work? And should the pre-amp be on or off?

The turntable is generally connected to an amplifier that has various outputs (e.g. speakers, tape deck), but I assume from what you say that the turntable should be connected directly to the computer without using the amplifier.

Thanks again for your help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.