Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am a person who listens to music while on my laptop but mostly with my headphones.  i was wondering is there anyway to disable my laptop speakers but still have my headphones work.  my laptop speakers do mute when i plug in my headphones but if i accidently unplug the headphones my music starts blasting through the laptop speakers, and this can be embarassing if i am at school. is there anyway i can disable my laptop speakers at all times whether i have headphones in or not.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

If you look on the bottom right-hand side of your Taskbar, where the clock is, you should see a little megaphone icon representing your audio controls.  Right-click on this and go to Playback Devices.  There, you should see all of the devices you have installed that are capable of playing sound.  Just right-click on the one labeled Internal Speakers and choose to Disable it, and voila!

Though I am an HP employee, I am not here as a representative for them. I am here of my own accord to help those requesting it.

Please demonstrate any appreciation for help with a kudos!
HP Recommended

thanks for trying to help but it didnt when i disabled it i couldnt hear any sound from the headphones

my sound setup is like this

while searching i found someone with the similar problem that made a thread here aswell

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-PC-Sound-and-Audio/Sound-only-through-speakers-AND-dual-headph...

HP Recommended

I did a little bit more research for you here, and I have to say I'm having a hard time finding any solutions for your problem that aren't directly hardware related.  The only source of information I can give you is to check this link http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269120-28-speakers-headphones-play-audio-time-audio-driver and try a couple of the solutions they have there.  Best of luck to you!

Though I am an HP employee, I am not here as a representative for them. I am here of my own accord to help those requesting it.

Please demonstrate any appreciation for help with a kudos!
HP Recommended

This may work. Go to control panel > IDT Audio Control Panel > speakers and dual headphones (if not already chosen) On the bottom half of that window are four choices. On my dv8 it lets you mute just the laptop speakers with out affecting the head

phones. You should be able to control the volume to your head phones here as well. There are also a few other settings here to experiment with.

I hooked up my head phones to try my solution and it didn't work. I am going to keep at this though.

Maybe JMryc will come up with something.

HP Recommended

i tried the IDT control panel and still no solution

if i mute my speakers and independent heaphones option it mutes everything

if i disable my speakers and independent heaphones, then try to set the independent  headphones option to default it wont let me

HP Recommended

Hi I just came across this site as i was searching for an asnwer to my HP issue and you sound like you know what you're talking about! I have an HP pavillion dv5 and my speakers arent working. even when im using my headphones. I took it in once and it came back working. Then a week later I had it connected to a cable that translates its screen onto the tv (I forget what those cables are called) and it worked i was watching hulu and everything then i unplugged it and the sound just stopped working. Its been like that ever since (about 3 months) please help! Thank you

HP Recommended

[Content Removed]

Download  the driver from the above link in order to play your headphones & internal speakers seperately.... it worked for windows7 ultimate...... no need to change any audio settings.... best of luck.....

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.