Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
benoitmid Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

HP Envy 15-j140nf
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello,

I've been having quite a problem with my laptop.

Upon being turned on, the built-in speakers will play sound for a few minutes before cutting off. I've cornered 3 reasons that trigger it:

1. Naturally, after anywhere between a couple of seconds and ~5 minutes
2. Plugging anything into the jack.
3. Switching the media being played, say, click on another youtube video, play another track from iTunes, etc.

I had found a temporary solution to the problem which was to use a bluetooth speaker, which's sound, I suppose, relied on a different device/driver to work proprely. In addition, I had to have one media file playing continuously, with or without audio, for the sound not to abruptly cut off when I decided to play any other video or listen to any other music (Trigger reason 3). Hence, the first tab I had to open was a 24h Nyan Cat video, that I let roll on minimum volume whilst I did other things. 
Bear in mind this 'solution' was necessary  to the bluetooth speakers functioning, and USB headsets work the same way.
It does not work at all on the built-in speakers or on any playback device plugged into the jack.

I've tried... so many different things.  It's been about 6 months since this awfully frustrating problem began. Help me, please.

PC specs:

HP Envy 15-j140nf
12go RAM
Intel Core 17 4700-MQ 2.40 GHz
Windows 8.1 64bit

Please, let me know if you need any additional information on my computer or on what I have already tried out.
Thank you in advance.

James

3 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
3798 201 431
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @benoitmid,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I understand you are having an issue with the audio not working. I will be glad to help you.

Here are some documents to help.

Resolving Headphones and Headset Problems (Windows 8)

Beats Volume Control Direction Setting Does Not Work

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! :)

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
benoitmid Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for helping me, Tardis40 !

Well, I read and tried out everything explained in the links you gave me... without any success.

Device Manager says IDT High Definition Audio CODEC works fine, and so does the hardware test (UEFI). I've updated, uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers time and time again,  some forums lead to other drivers, 'optional' drivers etc, I tried a bunch of them too. I've tried many different headphones, earphones, and speakers in the jack: none work.

I'm pretty sure that because it sorta works in USB/Bluetooth and doesn't work at all in jack/built-in speakers, IDT High Definition Audio CODEC is the problem. Then again, who knows, some people on other forums were talking about a KBsomething windows update. 

Here are some screenshots of what my interface looks like. I didn't really know what to take so yeah, if you need to see anything else or any other information just tell me. Yeah it's in french. Thanks again !

Audio1.png

Audio2.png

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
3798 201 431
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @benoitmid,

Thanks for the great information.

On the second screen you show to audio drivers.

Can you delete the nvidia virtual audio device.

Please restart the computer.

You may wish to check the beats audio settings. here is a YouTube video Installing Beats Audio - HP Upgraded to Windows 8 Missing Beats Audio

Please keep me informed how thing went.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation