Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

this is so frustrating...all the different advice given is repeating what others say; and none of it has helped me.

IF ANYONE ONE HAS A REAL SOLUTION TO MUTING OF MIC...PLEASE HELP OR STAY SILENT.

HP Recommended

@RudyPoet

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I'd like to assist you with this case then being silent. I understand that the internal Microphone turns pff by itself on your HP laptop. Is that correct?

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• The exact product model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l.
  • What operating system are you using?

Meanwhile, please try the following steps:

1. Run Audio Troubleshooter

- Launch Troubleshooting by typing and clicking “Troubleshooting” in   

Windows search.

- Click on "Playing Audio".

- Follow the on-screen instructions.

2. Check if microphone isn't disabled.

- Right click on the Volume Icon on the taskbar, select "Recording Devices".

- Click on "Show disconnected devices", and "Show disabled devices".

- Select on Microphone, click on "Properties". If it is disabled, enable it.

- Once enabled, set Microphone as default audio input device.

3. Check if microphone isn't muted.

- Right Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Volume Mixer".

- On the Microphone slider, slide it up to 100%.

Meanwhile, let me ask you if you have tried the steps from this HP Document which fixes issues with microphones in Windows. 

I hope this information is useful. lease feel free to let me know. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

hi,

thanks for the ideas but i had tried them all and then some.

this morning i spent over an hour with HP chat assistant/support and his only resolution was that i do a factor restore.

well there was NO way i was going to do that!

in a yet further search i came across a You Tube resolution and to my surprise it worked!

it included going to task manager and "details" and finding the "svchost.exe" with my name and running command prompt and killing it (info to enter that command was detailed and i don't recall it now).

then to install a free malware program to catch any malware.

once i did that...walla...my mic no longer mutes!!

HP Recommended

@RudyPoet

I'm glad to know that finally the issue is fixed. But thanks to your for researching and sharing the solution.

Happy computing! 🙂

HP Recommended

It still will not work

HP Recommended

I have done all that several times

HP Recommended

ShirleyT11,

Believe me, I share your frustrations. All HP has done is to shoot from the hip. Not one single post they have made on this problem is worth a flip.

Having said that: have you tried MalwareBytes? It solved this problem for me in less than 10 minutes. I was hesitant to do it, so I kept going to HP and MS and other possible remedies, but I struck out totally. I  was so frustrated I could spit nails.

I finally decided it was worth the try. I then Googled MalwareBytes dowloaded it and it was solved in minutes. They found a Trogan virus that MOST virus checkers did not catch. In moments, my mic problem was cured. And it has worked flawlessly ever since. That was several weeks ago.

If you have not tried it, please do. If you have, please disregard all of the above dear person.

patdee

HP Recommended

I am also having the microphone muting problem and I have seen all of HP advice for fixing but I wanted to ask you if the malware bytes fix is still working for you?  Before I go through all of HP steps only to find out they don't work for me either, I wanted to see if the Malware fix resolved the problem more permanently. 

Thanks,

LeeAnn

HP Recommended

Is this solution still working for you?  Curious to know before I go through the VAST number of steps provided by HP. 

HP Recommended
The malwarebytes download solution is still working for me. The internal microphone is working fine after weeks of successful use.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.