Did you mean: 
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Internal mic doesn't work

HP Recommended
pavilion x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Pavilion x360 laptop internal microphone is not working.  Please note, speakers work fine.  The issue described occurs when using the internal microphone or when using bluetooth (airpods that are used all the time with other devices). 

Issue Description:   Since the microphone was not working I have been testing it by using the camera and recording.  I tested the following scenarios:

1. Record using headphones connected via the headphone jack.  In this scenario I am able to record and playback using the wired headphones

2. Record using the laptop built in microphone.  In this case I couldn't hear any my recording when playing back.  I double checked my speakers were working by playing another video which worked.  If I rub my finger over the microphone when recording and then played the video back I could faintly hear my finger brushing over the microphone.

3. This is where it gets interesting. Since my wired headphones worked I assume bluetooth would also work.  I connected my airpod pro's which are used daily with other devices and go the same results as using the laptop microphone. 

Realtek(R) Audio. 

device manager shows Microphone Array, Speaker/Headphone, & Stereo Mix under audio inputs and outputs

Below are steps taken to attempt to fix it:

1. Updated drivers for audio input and output devices

2. Updated BIOS from HP website

3. Run HP assistant audio troubleshooter which says everything is working fine

4. Refreshed the windows 10 image on the laptop, which leaves documents and photos on the laptop

Are there any other items I should be checking?  Since the wired headphones microphone works I thought it was just the internal microphone, but when the bluetooth did the same thing it led me to believe it was not the hardware.  

On a side note and while I am not certain of the timing of the issue beginning.  It appears to have started when my son downloaded chromium and zoom early this year but it could be a coincidence as I removed those and even after refreshing the image it still didn't work 

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation