Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 15t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A couple of weeks ago, I noted during my weekly Skype calls that apparently my microphone was sounding faint.  A constant subtle droning sound apparently could be heard as well. This past week, the microphone has stopped working altogether. All diagnostic testing provided by HP on their propietary support software says it's all fine, no problems reported, no error codes, just stopped working altogether. I am currently waiting for my Accidental Care Pack to be updated. This all seems to be hardware related, is there a way to verify this even further?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@J-Ire03,

Thank you for posting on HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel.

I read the post regarding the internal microphone not working. I will be glad to assist you with this. You've done some smart troubleshooting and provided a splendid account of the issue. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• Could you provide me with the exact model of the PC? Use this link to find it:  https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03754824  (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

• Did you try the tap test in audio settings for the headset microphone?
  • Have you recently made any software or hardware changes on the PC before the issue started?
  • Have you confirmed the Microphone is listed under device manager?

• Did you try an external microphone to check if that works?

For a start please try these steps:

• Right-click on the speaker icon on the lower right corner of the taskbar.
  • Then please select recording devices. Please select the Headset Mic option
  • Then tap the Lid near the top gently several times next to where the webcam is located and check if the microphone bars respond to the taps and receive inputs.
  • If they do then it should work with a driver uninstall and reinstall.
  • Please make sure that the headset Mic is set to default and enabled in properties option.

Then please perform these steps from device manager.

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand sound video and game controllers>then select the sound drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the audio drivers. Check the box that says delete the software for this device.
  • Then restart the computer and update the bios, chipset and audio drivers from this link:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers please select the country and follow the on-screen instructions.
  • Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Then check if this does the trick for you.

If the issue continues, then check if the internal Microphone is working and perform all the relevant steps from this link:  HP PCs - Resolving Microphone Problems (Windows 10, 😎   to troubleshoot the issue Then check if it gets resolved.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

First off to answer some of your questions, the product model is HP Envy x360 Convertible 15m-bq0xx.  Secondly, I had not tried tapping the microphone until you mentioned it. It just so happens that when tapped, the microphone does register sound.  However, when speaking it does not. I have updated the AMD Audio drivers and the Realtek Audio drivers. I have updated the BIOS, only one of the drivers worked on this. I tried updating the chipset, however, the InstallWizard did not work. It booted, I clicked "Next" in order to continue with the installation, and the window closed. An external microphone does work and the device appears as listed under device manager.

After completing the suggested troubleshooting, the microphone still does not work. Despite registering sound when tapped, the microphone does not pick up any voice. As suggested, I opened the "HP PCs - Resolving Microphone Problems (Windows 10, 8)" but found much of the troubleshooting I had originally done. I raised the microphone volume to 75 as suggested, and I raised the "Microphone Boost" to +20.0 dB, however this did not help at all.  As mentioned before, the microphone continues to register taps but not voice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

HP Recommended

@J-Ire03

Thanks for responding,

It's great to have you back, 

It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out,

I'm the Flower_Bud & I'm at your service.

In this case, I would suggest you perform Reset: Click here

NOTE: Back up your personal data before performing Reset.

If the issue persists, I will send you a private message to assist you with the next course of action. Please check your forum private message box next to the bell notification icon on the upper right-hand corner for a private message from me for further assistance.

HP Recommended

I have this same problem and have tried all the trouble shooting steps and have performed the Windows 10 reset.  It still does not work.  Can you help?

HP Recommended

Hi @JamesSea

Appreciate you trying those steps. This looks like a hardware as the factory reset should resolve any software or driver related issue. Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your computer, they should be able to help. 

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This is not a hardware issue, this is false information. We would not all have the same issue with the microfone. The odds of all of our microfone's being faulty is astronomical.  There is something else going on between hp system, the microfone and windows 10.  As usual, everyone just points the finger at everyone else and we are all left holding 1400 paper weights.  I will never buy another hp again... they want you to pay for support for a 1400 laptop lol... are you serious.. if you can't support what you sell, for free, we don't need you....

Nothing works to fix this microfone.  It should work loud and clear....

HP Recommended

The fact that no one from HP has responded to this with the answer tells us all we need to know, never buy HP again lol. Seriously, we are not stupid, there is literally no way all of our microfone's are bad. That would mean there is literally no quality control and you let millions of bad microfone's go through, which is simply not going to happen in any manufacturing situation unless it is intentional.

There is a problem with our laptops and our microfone's and windows 10. Why can't you just tell us the truth and fix it.

Don

HP Recommended

I agree with DLbott - you people are worthless!

HP Recommended

james, yep, just verifies, never buy hp products... absolutely no support at all. unless you count a useless online chat system with someone in india or phillipines who does not speak english as a first language and does not understand you in the first place. it is literally mind boggling.. you spend 1400 plus on a laptop or computer and it never works like you want it, or you find out way to late about the microfone.  i mean who uses that most of the time lol... i never did, until i needed to and then well your 90 warranty is over and you can no longer take your paper weight back to where you bought it and good ole hp does not want to own the issue.  i was i.t. guy running a program for military training facility, this is completely a software issue between windows and hp hardware, completely. both point the finger at the other and in fact it is HP responsibility to own it and fix it.  There is nothing physically wrong with your microfone, if there was when u tap it you would see nothing, oh you can actually hear the tapping lol, just nothing else, uh, like talking lol... what a joke... big fat 1400 plus paper weight.

do NOT buy any computer from HP....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.