Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Internal microphone not working.

M4-1003TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After windows update i suddenly noticed that the internal microphone was not working. After reading numerous forums and other online articles i failed to get a solution. After a while i thought of uninstalling the last update i received which is "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3163018)". As soon as i did this and after restarting my laptop the microphone was working perfectly fine. 

But again after a day the update automatically installed and the internal microphone problem started again. 

Pleas help me with a permanent solution as i cant keep on uninstalling this particular update time and again. As this is a security update from windows i am not able to disable the update.

Help!

Thank you.

5 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
5851 347 625
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Soham25,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums!

I read your post about the microphone issue, and wanted to assist you!  I understand that the recent update is causing the microphone not to work.  Try reviewing the following steps, and let me know how it goes:

1. Download the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package (http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/wushowhide.diagcab).
  2. Change the Windows Update Services setting from Automatic (Delayed Start) to Manual.
    • In the Control Panel, select Administrative Tools and open Services.
    • Scroll down to Windows Update and double-click it to bring up its properties.
    • Click Stop to stop the service from running.
    • Change the Startup Type to Manual and click OK.
  3. Uninstall the KB3163018 update.
  4. Run the Windows 10 "Show or Hide Updates" Troubleshooter Package and hide updates to the KB3163018 update.  (Doing so will block your system from automatically reinstalling or showing updates for the KB3163018 update).
  5. Change the Windows Update Services setting from Manual back to Automatic (Delayed Start).
  6. Restart your computer.

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Soham25 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your quick reply. I tried to uninstall the particular update but its not showing up in the list. I rechecked it a couple of times but the particular update doesnt even show up on the list of updates that can be uninstalled. It was installed on 10/07/16.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
5851 347 625
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Soham25,

Thank you for the quick reply!

You should be able to uninstall the driver through the Device Manager.  Search for Device Manager within Windows, and open it.  Then look for Audio inputs and outputs.  Look for Internal mic, and right-click it.  Then go to Properties, and choose the Driver tab.  You should be able to uninstall the driver there.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
0 Kudos
Soham25 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Its not the audio driver that is creating problems. Its a windows update named "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3163018)" which is disabling the internal microphone. I tried to uninstall it but it wont. 

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
5851 347 625
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Soham25,

Thank you for the quick reply!

I understand that previously you were able to uninstall the update.  Now you are unable to?  Have you tried performing a System Restore, to set the notebook back to its previous working state?  If that does not work, then you may consider performing a System Recovery, to put the notebook back to its factory settings.  Please let me know the results.

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation