Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY - 17-bw0503na Product Number 4BA03EA#ABUExample: Pavilion 6530
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Laptop approx 2 years old during which time internal mic response via Skype, Zoom, Audacity audio and internal video has been good. In the recent past the quality has deteriorated resulting in crackling. I have gone through audio tests with HP so far to no avail and have had to resort to Microsoft LX3000 headset Microphone which is good.  Obviously due to close proximity of the latter, the output on the test bar is good whereas the output on webcam mic is low. Could it be anything to do with poor signal/noise ratio? I personally suspect Windows updates. Help! please 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@piotrjm Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are getting crackling noise from the computer while connecting the microphone.

Please perform the below steps and check.

Hard Reset:

1) Shutdown the computer.  

2) Unplug all the Adapter and peripherals connected.  

3) Remove the Battery. ( not for Built-in Battery computer ) 

4) Press and hold down the power button for 15 to 20 seconds.  

5) Plug-in the Adapter and put the Battery back into the computer if it's a (removable battery)

6) Try to turn on the computer and check, If the issue persists continue next step

Set BIOS default and restart:

1. Restart your notebook.
  2. During startup, press F10 repeatedly until the BIOS menu is displayed.
  3. Once the BIOS menu is displayed, press F9 to restore factory defaults.
  4. Select Yes to confirm.
  5. Press F10 to save changes and exit.
  6. Select Yes to confirm.
  7. The computer restarts using the default settings.

Please uninstall the Audio drivers and update the chipset drivers. Then restart the computer and install the audio drivers.

Also, update the BIOS.

Please click the below link to download the drivers.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Please note that I am not getting crackly from my computer, I am getting it from my internal webcam.

Thank you for your help. I understand a hard reset involves having to re load all of my apps, a thing I am not prepared to do. The BIOS has already been done and the drivers are up to date. I am disappointed that on a relatively new and expensive HP computer that this problem can't be sorted. I use this computer, not for spending a lot of time trying to sort out its technical problems but to enjoy the facilities that it offers. I am still convinced that the problem is to do with Windows update.

On another matter. Is it possible to make the text Black on this web page instead of difficult to read Grey?  Some of us that use HP are doubtless elderly with poor eyesight.

You comments will be appreciated.

Peter Matthews UK and aged 90

HP Recommended

@piotrjm

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggets you perform the system restore.

System Restore is a software program available in all versions of Windows 10 and Windows 8. System Restore automatically creates restore points, a memory of the system files and settings on the computer at a particular point in time. You can also create a restore point yourself. Then, when you use System Restore to restore your computer to a point in time before an issue began, System Restore returns your computer to the files and settings from the restore point. Your personal files and documents are not affected.

You can also undo a System Restore if the restore does not resolve the issue or if the issue becomes worse.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.