Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

New Pavilion laptop. Static in the right earbud. Earbuds fine in other devices. Other headphones produce same right ear static. Speakers fine. Static happens when  plugged in or unplugged.

help! I don’t wanna send this thing back.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi! @SeattleZap, Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand you hear static noise when you connect the headphones to your PC.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any hardware or software changes on your PC?

Have you tried checking with different headphones?

Have you tied checking with a different application?

Excellent description and a great diagnosis done. It is greatly appreciated.

Please share the product number of your PC to assist you better.

Try the steps recommended below.

Method 1: 

1. Right click the speaker icon on the Taskbar and select Playback devices to open Sound settings. Double click your headphones device to open the Properties.

2. Choose the Levels tab and then adjust the Microphone slider to 0. Click Apply.

3. Go to Enhancements tab and then check the Disable all sound effects. Click OK twice to exit.

Method 2: 
This may happen when you have the external speakers set to default.
Perform the task mentioned below to set headphones as default:
a)   press the ‘Windows key + X’ key on the keyboard and then click on control panel and then Hardware and sound option.
b)      Click in Sound, then a new window will open up.
c)      In the new windows click on the tab "Playback" and right click in the window and click on Show Disabled devices.
d)      Now check if headphones are listed there and right click on it and choose enable.
e)      Highlight that headphones and click on "Set as Default".

Method 3:

1. Right click the speaker icon on the Taskbar and select Recording devices.

2. Double click the Microphone and open the Properties box.

3. Go to Levels tab. Adjust the Microphone Boost slider to 0. Click OK twice to finish all the settings.

Now plug in your headphones and try playing some audio files. You will never hear the static sound in the headphones any more.

Also, Please try the steps recommended below.

Go to Windows Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers section.
In the list of audio device drivers, look for Conexant High definition Audio. This is the device driver for BeatsAudio (a little bit sneaky, wouldn’t you say?).
Right-click and select Disable. The downward arrow displays on this driver, indicating it is disabled. (NOTE: At this point, you won’t be able to play any music files.)
Right-click and select Update Driver Software.
Select Browse my computer for driver software.
Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
You should see a window that says Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware. NOTE: If you see a window that says something like This is the best driver for this device, exit the window and repeat steps 4, 5, and 6.
In the Model box, highlight High Definition Audio Device (this is the substitute audio device driver) and click Next.
At the Update Driver Warning window, click Yes. You should see a confirmation window with High Definition Audio Device displayed. Click Close.
In the list of audio device drivers in the Sound, video and game controllers section, you’ll notice that the High Definition Audio Device now displays instead of Conexant High definition Audio.
At the prompt to reboot, click Yes.

If the issue still persists try the steps recommended below.

Hope you are using the same size of headphones, also check inside the headphone port on the laptop if it has anything stuck inside and clean the port.

Lastly, try the headphones on another PC, iPod, or another audio device to make sure the headphone jack is correctly working.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.