Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
wondercow Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Kaby Lake Spectre x360 distorted audio from speakers

Spectre x360 - 13-w063nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm having trouble with super scratchy/distorted audio on the newest (Oct 2016, 7th gen i7) Spectre x360 (X7V22UA) and am wondering if this is just inherent to the design or if my machine has a hardware problem.

When my machine was brand new out of the box, it sounded like the speakers were blown out when playing certain frequencies such as the Windows 10 notification tone. I did the standard troubleshooting, a HP representative asked me to send it in for repair, allegedly the speakers were replaced, but the replaced unit is just as bad.

When audio plays at even modest volumes (right now I have it at 36/100), I can feel the laptop vibrating and rattling.

I know this is a laptop and I'm not expecting the world's greatest sound, but the distortion is really annoying. Is this just inherent to the new x360s or am I just unlucky with my RMA? I've tried updating drivers, BIOS, etc. and the problem persists. Headphones are fine. It's definitely the external speakers on this laptop that are vibrating around.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Right click on sound in system tray
  2. Choose "Playback devices"
  3. Choose the only option, "Realtek High Definition Audio (SST)"
  4. Click "Configure"
  5. Click the "Test" button that plays three chimes in each speaker.
  6. Listen to it rattle.

Is this happening to anyone else? Seems like it's identical to the symptoms of this problem, but that's for an older model of the x360 and this new model has different hardware. Also, the old problem was never resolved.

3 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12747 821 1396
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@wondercow

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 
Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). ​​​​​
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

0 Kudos
wondercow Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I wanted to provide a follow up in case any future readers with the same problem come across this thread and want to know what came of it.

Two trips to the HP repair center, including one trip that took 3.5 weeks to get my laptop back, were not able to resolve this problem. I eventually returned the laptop because it did not appear HP support was going to be able to resolve this issue.

I can't say whether my laptop was a lemon or if it was working exactly as designed and the sound quality is just very low in the Spectre x360, but if you are having an identical problem, I recommend you return the laptop if still within your returns period and perhaps try your luck with another. The repair center never contacted me to let me know they were unable to replicate my issue or that they did replicate it and believed they had fixed it, so I have no information what their verdict was on my machine. Mailing it in for service was not productive, in my case.

Best of luck to those of you with sound problems!

0 Kudos
santi7381 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am experiencing the same problems with a Many Lake 13 inches laptop. I already sent my device to technical service....And they claim that this is the normal sound for that laptop.....**bleep**!!!! I spent 1000€ in a laptop that i can't use normally as i hear everytime a metallic vibration they say it is normal!!!!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation