Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy Notebook L6F68AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have no audio output.

--No audio device installed when I go to Sound. 

--In device manager I have Nvidia virtual audio device (Wave extensible)(WDM), Cyberlink webcan virtual driver 6.0, teVirtual MIDI, virtual midi driver x64.

--no the hp virtual assistant did not fix the problem

--no, updating the driver didn't fix the problem

--no, uninstalling and reinstalling the driver didn't fix the problem

--no, searching in windows update didn't fix the problem

--I have the Bang and Olufsen speakers

--this laptop was upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 a long time ago

--I just cloned the harddrive to a SSD and now the sound isn't working.

--I used Acronis clone, the paid version

--SSD is Samsung 860 evo 1TB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I'm closing this out. It was no use trying this way. I just re-cloned the drive. Everything is working fine now. I won't ever use Acronis again.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Have you tried testing the speakers in the HP UEFI?

Start tapping F2 immediately after powering on the laptop and go to Components test -> audio.

This way you can conclude if the issue is with the speakers or if it's related to software.

HP Recommended

OK, I ran the tests and yes the speakers and headphones both worked correctly. I tried looking for drivers on Nvidia and HP but no luck. windows update does not help.

HP Recommended

It's good that you concluded the speakers work in the UEFI, this means the issue is software-related.

First of all, make sure you have the latest audio drivers installed:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-15-q400-notebook-pc/8499286/model/8949654

It's also very important to install the latest BIOS update from that page.

Also, make sure to follow every single step in this article that you may have overlooked:

https://support.hp.com/ro-en/document/c00833257

HP Recommended

I downloaded and installed the drivers. It said I already had them on the disk. I ran setup and it did nothing. in the properties dialog in system devices for hd audio it said, "A driver (service) for this device has been disabled.  An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)". I did uninstall it and reinstalled with the new driver and even going to the folder on the c drive to get that driver and still nothing but that error. the Bios reinstalled.

the MS support page was or Vista and end of life. they gave me another page to download a *.diagcab file which I can't open. I see that file ext. only applies to these...Applies To: Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows 8

no luck. what next?

HP Recommended

I'm closing this out. It was no use trying this way. I just re-cloned the drive. Everything is working fine now. I won't ever use Acronis again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.