Did you mean: 
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Laptop stops recognizing internal microphone

HP Recommended
ENVY-15t-ep000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP ENVY laptop has been having problems recognizing its internal microphone after the computer has been on for a day or two. It recognizes the microphone just fine when I first start it, but after having the computer on for a while, it will suddenly no longer recognize it.  I haven't noticed anything other than time that triggers this and it does not appear to be related to the computer going to sleep or into hibernate mode. 

Windows is up to date and the HP Support Assistant tells me that my drivers are up to date as well. I also updated the BIOS on 12/8. This problem existed prior to the BIOS update and the update didn't seem to change anything. 

According to the sound settings menu, my input device is: Microphone Array (Intel Smart Sound Technology (Intel SST)). When I look at the drivers for the microphone under the device manager, (Intel Smart Sound Technology (Intel SST)) shows up twice. If I go into properties for these two drivers, they are different versions. Could having two different drivers for the same microphone potentially cause this? If so, how do I go about fixing this? If this is not likely to be the problem is there something else I can try to fix this? I am out of ideas! 

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation