Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

My dad recently gave me his HP ENVY Notebook (with Core i7 and Beats Audio) which he had bought used. At first, it seemed fine and felt like an upgrade to my Lenovo ThinkPad. However, the audio quality coming from the speakers really bothered me. I was sure that it was just a problem with the speakers, as laptop speakers are usually not that good, so I plugged in my headphones, expecting some difference. The problem is, that it sounded the same on my headphones. My phone and Lenovo ThinkPad sound better than this.

The audio feels muddy and crackles. It's as if you're listening to music with your headphones not all the way up into the jack (which is something I will look into, although I don't think that it's a problem with the jack). The instruments are not clear, and frequently overcome each other. The only difference that enabling Beats Audio makes is emphasis on the lower end, the audio still sounds like something you'd hear on a file with very low bit rate. I even tried playing some music on a DAW, and it still sounded that way.

I really don't understand what is going on, as I have tried everything I could, like reinstalling the audio drivers and tweaking with the settings. It still sounds the same, and not just music, but videos too, basically anything that has audio. I just want to know if this is in fact how the laptop sounds, or if there is a problem on my end.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@VoltarGomes

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Run the audio troubleshooting tool in Windows to automatically fix common audio recording and audio playback problems with your computer.

1. In Windows, type find and fix audio into Search, or right-click the speaker icon  on the taskbar and select Troubleshoot sound problems.

2. Select Find and fix audio playback problems or Find and fix audio recording problems from the Search results.

3. Click Next.

4. Select the device you want to troubleshoot, and then click Next.

5. Wait while the troubleshooter detects problems and makes changes (or prompts you to make changes).

The troubleshooter detecting audio problems

6. When the troubleshooter is done, the Troubleshooting has completed page displays, listing any problems found and what changes were made to the computer.

NOTE: For detailed information about the troubleshooting, click View detailed information in the troubleshooter window.

Troubleshooting completed

7. Click Close.

8. If a recommended action displays, select Apply this fix or Skip this step to continue to search for other problems.

Test for sound.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.