Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre Folio convertible 13-ak0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Same problem as in this post https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Low-Volume-on-Built-in-Microphone-Spectre-Folio-Convert... 

Running Windows 10 1909 with all updates BIOS incl
Level is to low to be usable

Have tried everything I can find to try

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@eskdalejp I have a few steps to help you out:

The Troubleshooting tool automatically finds and fixes many computer issues. Use it to troubleshoot microphone problems.

1. In Windows, search for and open Control Panel.

2. Click Troubleshooting.

3. Under Hardware and Sound, click Troubleshoot audio recording.

NOTE: 

Administrator permission is required to run this program. If prompted, type the administrator password or provide confirmation.

4. The Sound troubleshooter opens. Click Next. The troubleshooter begins checking the audio service status.

5. Select the device you want to troubleshoot, and then click Next.

6. Follow the on-screen instructions and make any changes suggested by the troubleshooter. When done, close the troubleshooter.

7. If the problem persists, continue to the next step.

We may need to reset the privacy settings for the Microphone if the issue occurred after any recent windows updates:

1. Open Settings from your start menu.
  2. Click on Privacy in order to access all your privacy settings.
  3. Select Microphone from the left pane and then click the Change button.
  4. Now, turn on the microphone for this device.
  5. Turn on Allow apps to access your microphone.
  6. Finally, in the app list, make sure to turn on microphone access for every app you want to give permission to access your microphone.
  7. Repeat the same exact steps but for your webcam this time.

If the issue persists, uninstall the microphone driver and restart to automatically install a fresh driver for the same.

1. Open device manager, the fastest way is through the search bar:
  2. Open ‘Audio Inputs and Outputs’
  3. Left-click on your recording device.
  4. In the menu that opens up Click ‘Uninstall’.
  5. delete the driver. click apply/OK and then, restart the pc.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on the post you feel, helped you the most, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply

I'm pretty certain I've done all of those but will go through them all again

Control Panel - Troubleshooting - Recording Audio - Microphone Array - Intel Smart Sound Technology...

Result = Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem

Privacy - Microphone is Microphone access for this device is switched on

Allow Apps to access your Microphone is turned on

All Microsoft Store apps are enabled except Xbox Game Bar and Xbox Console Companion

Allow desktop apps to access your microphone is turned on.  Both Teams and Zoom show as being accessed in the last days

Camera settings similar only Xbox Game Bar turned off

From Device Manager - Audio inputs and outputs I select Microphone Array (Intel SST)

Driver is Microsoft 18/03/2019 10.0.18362.1

If you click Driver Details it says Microphone Array (Intel SST....)   No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device

Clicking Uninstall there is no option to delete the driver but it deletes the Microphone and it disappears from the Device manager

Rebooted - Microphone array re appears in Device manager with same driver details as above

The only thing that I've noticed in my attempts to get it working is the HP Audio Control changing HP Noice reduction  - Just the fact of changing it has an effect if there is no audio from the mic.  After changing it - it returns to a very low level - it doesn't make any difference on what the settings are just if there is no audio from he mic changing this setting can return it to a low level but never makes it correct.

Thanks for you help but this hasn't fixed the problem yet

HP Recommended

@eskdalejp

Thanks for replying!

The best way to resolve the issue is by using the HP Guided Troubleshooter: 

CLICK HERE FOR STEP BY STEP GUIDE

(simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

Also, try updating the BIOS. Refer to the document HP Consumer Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS  for help.

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Thank you

The  CLICK HERE FOR STEP BY STEP GUIDE  ( http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=soundweb.net&section=ccweb&sfs=tdoc) doesn't work it reports an error this site can't be reached it took too long to respond

I've already updated the BIOS within the last 2 weeks.  System BIOS reports as F.35

I'm currently running Windows 1909 and until today it was always saying that 2004 was coming soon.  I guess due to some issues with drivers.  Many others (if you search the web have reported a similar issue to mine not necessarily with the Folio but other PC's, many have attributed it to the Windows upgrade 2004.  I'm not so sure as I'm currently on 1909 but other updates have been done.  As of today the 2004 says its available for my version.  Do you think I should try 2004 or try to resolve this Audio issue first?

Thanks 

I look forward to your comments

HP Recommended

@eskdalejp

Go with the Windows Update and see if that makes a difference.

Keep me posted.

Thanks for understanding.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've done the upgrade to Windows 2004 but there is no change I'm afraid.

Jon

HP Recommended

@eskdalejp

I understand your concerns.

In that case, please rollback to the previous version of the windows and check.

How to: Rollback to the previous version of Windows from Windows 10.  

NOTE: Please be aware the Windows.old folder located at the root of the local disk where Windows 10 is installed will be deleted after 30 days automatically. The Windows.old folder is used to facilitate the rollback. So please perform any rollback within 30 days or this option will no longer be available. Otherwise, create a backup before upgrading to Windows 10.

Step 1:

1. Type Settings in the search bar and Click on Update and Security in the Settings tab.
2. Click on Recovery, then click Get started under Go back to the previous version of Windows.
3. Here you can make multiple selections why are going back to your previous version of Windows along with additional details or you can choose just one and click Next.
4. Note: any configurations made to Windows 10 since upgrading will be lost, so if you installed new programs or hardware drivers or made personal settings, those will be deleted.
5. Click on Next and Make sure you have your password ready to sign into your old version if you had been using one. Click next again.
6. The process can take a while depending on the amount data, applications and settings. Click next again.
7. Click Go back to begin the process, then Windows 10 will restart and after the process is complete, you will be booted into your previous version of Windows environment.

If the step 1 does not work, follow the step 2.

Step 2:

1. Log out your system and then, go to the sign in screen of your system.
2. Hold down the shift key on your keyboard, while clicking the Power button on the screen.
3.  Continue to hold down the shift key, while clicking Restart.
4. Again, continue to hold down the shift key, until the Advanced Recovery Options menu appears.
5. Click on Troubleshoot, then click on Advanced options and finally, Click on Go back to the previous version of Windows. 

For more information, refer this article, mentioned below.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/help-upgrade-windows-10

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

OK - I've rolled back to 1909 - still with the same issue

HP Recommended

@eskdalejp If none of that worked, the only other thing left to do, is to backup all personal data into an external storage device and perform a system reset: click here for steps,

Keep me posted with the results of the same.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.