Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15-AC168TU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased a brand new computer HP 15-AC168TU through amazon and received two days back.  Microphone and Headjack are working in my computer HP 15-AC168TU.

I checked Sound in Control Panel.

In Playback I can see only Speaker/HP. I can't see Headphone.

In Recording tab, Mic in at front panel (black) the status is "Not plugged in".

Since microphone and head jack are not working, Cortana is also not working.

Please help to solve the problem

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey @Manoj69,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that you are having some issues with the microphone and head jack in your HP Notebook - 15-ac168tu PC. I can help you with that.

This document should assist you with troubleshooting microphone issues.

Please let me know the results after following the above. If you are able to clear your issues, please click on Accept Solution. If you appreciate my help, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hey @Manoj69,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that you are having some issues with the microphone and head jack in your HP Notebook - 15-ac168tu PC. I can help you with that.

This document should assist you with troubleshooting microphone issues.

Please let me know the results after following the above. If you are able to clear your issues, please click on Accept Solution. If you appreciate my help, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

Thanks for Microphone suggestion. But the problem seems to be headjak. I can't get sound from my headjack. It may be the reason Cortana is not working. Will you please show some guidelines?

When I click Sound, I get only one device Speaker/HP. Headjack is not available as option

WHen I try to use Cortana, I can't switch it ON. If I do, it goes back to Off when I check it back.

HP Recommended

This document outlines how to troubleshoot sound issues. Please let me know the results after following the above. If you are still having issues, please let me know the results of each step so I will be better able to assist you.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I did all that. But still the headphone jack shows Not plugged in.

Headjack.PNG

HP Recommended

I am facing the same problem. Was ths fixed ?

HP Recommended

Not yet. It seems a hardware problem. HP promised to send the technician to us. Don't know when!

HP Recommended

we have a similar problem.  If the headphone and mic are not plugged in when the system boots, it often refuses to use them.  Sometimes we can play with settings and get one or the other to work, but often nothing but a reboot seems to work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.