Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have an identical issue. After 10-20 min (or sometimes longer) on Zoom or while streaming on Twitch, my microphone stops working. Following this, my audio services freeze up and I can't open any sound settings. Sometimes this results in all my audio cutting out, at which point the control panel says there are "no audio devices running." Occasionally, my laptop will start buzzing and go full blue screen after this and force a restart on its own. If not, I restart the laptop myself and the process repeats. Probably one of the most annoying problems I've had with any device. I have already tried all the solutions at hand, including driver reinstallations, factory resets, etc. No help. 

The worst part is you can't really tell if it is fixed (which it never is) until 15 minutes into an important call! Whenever you think you may have fixed it, you haven't...

HP Recommended

I agree, This is a very important problem and I hope HP fix it since you are telling that you already tried Factory Reset.

In my case after I did that and blocked are HP updates and installed only windows updates it have been working fine.

HP Recommended

Never mind.

Today after 40 minutes of zoom meeting this bad quality laptop again started the weird loud sound and the mic and speaker not longer work.

HP should return our money to all the clients who purchase this.

Who was the one who set up this thread as solve ? Please undo that. This is far from solve.

HP Recommended

@Cnrv

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues with the microphone.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

What is the product number of your computer?

Have you tested the microphone in other applications apart from Zoom?

Meanwhile, I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03421813

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello The_fossette,

What is the product number of your computer?=  9HZ86UA#ABA

Have you tested the microphone in other applications apart from Zoom?= Yes

I called before HP Support bc this computer started failing only with a few weeks of being purchased and they already tried that that you are recommending me to do (Run test, update driver, factory reset the device, run the test available on the Bios, etc.). It did not work.

The problem is not only the MIC, also the speaker start reproducing a weird sound (I wish I can attach the video I recorded yesterday). And eventually the start menu also don't work, like if you click it nothing happens.

This normally get solve just by restarting the computer but I hope you don't expect us to just solve with a restart each time the computer fails in the middle of an important meeting.

I have this failure before with a Webex call as well. After the Hard reset I haven't try webex. But yesterday during a very important meeting, it failed again on zoom.

EDIT: I was able to upload the failure video to Youtube. See it attach to this message:

HP Recommended

Actually I was able to upload the video on youtube. Please observe it: 

HP Recommended

AUDIO DRIVER ISSUES ON HP Envy x360 15m-ee0013dx laptop computers with AMD Ryzen CPU and AMD Radeon Graphics card

The issue is that the MIC and Speakers fail intermittently during Video Chat (Zoom, Skype) calls and occasionally "lock up" while emitting a loud noise (sometimes high pitch, sometimes a buzz) from the speakers.  The issues seems common to most HP Envy machines recently produced (since, say, July 2020).

This suggested fix is a compilation of information and advice received from other HP Envy users, most notably from Blyat, who really seems to have figured this out.  The information is anecdotal and appears to be unsupported by HP. 

The crux of the problem appears to be that the 15m-ee0013dx HP Envy x360 laptop is shipped with a minimalistic graphics driver version - a "lite" version, if you will.  This version either is not fully functional or is quickly replaced by Microsoft or Realtek drivers when system Updates are made.  The Updated drivers are broken and fail.

The sound on the Envy x360 is controlled by the Radeon Graphics controller (yes, sound controlled by graphics).

HP has not been able to solve this issue.  They see it as a "software" problem and try to charge users/owners an additional fee as a result.  In fact, this is a driver, or driver conflict issue and the problem has been in locating and verifying the correct, good driver to use.  It has been complicated by the fact that there is a Bang & Olufsen Audio Control, Realtek components, a Radeon Graphics Controller, Windows and Windows Update process - multiple hands in the pie.  This appears to be the best and most likely solution to date.

The apparent fix for the sound problems is a multistep process:

1) Remove the initial, old, or broken drivers

2) Clean up any remaining old AMD drivers

3) Install the new AMD Radeon software and drivers that correctly handle the hardware

4) Prevent the system from overwriting the newly installed correct drivers.

Here are the recommended steps:

1. If you want to be thorough, open the Device Manager (type "Device" into search line), open the "Sound, Video and Game Controllers", right click and UNINSTALL all the devices in there.  The one labeled "AMD High Definition Audio Device" is the MIC.  It should be uninstalled, too.
  2. Although it may not be required, you can also uninstall the program "HP Audio Switch".  As Blyat notes, it really doesn't do anything.  You can find it at start > settings > apps or by searching for "Add or Remove Programs ..." on the search line.
  3. Go to https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601 , download, install and execute the AMD Cleanup Utility to remove all old, initial AMD software and drivers.  Reboot, if required.
  4. Then go to the AMD Radeon Support page: https://www.amd.com/en/support , download and execute the Auto-Detect and Install utility.  As Blyat notes, this will not only install the most current and correct drivers, but will add Radeon Graphics software for your system - which is nice.  During this installation, make sure the "Factory Reset" box is checked - it should be by default.  Follow the prompts and reboot the system as directed. 
  5. Finally, Blyat also discovered that you need to prevent the Windows Update process from reinstalling the broken drivers.  While there is no permanent and foolproof way to do this (that I know of), you can stave off possible reinstallation of the bad drivers by postponing Windows Updates.  This will at least give you time to confirm that the installation of the Radeon Drivers was correct.  To pause or postpone Updates, go to start > settings > update & security and PAUSE the updates for 7 days. 

I applied this fix per Blyat's recommendation and it appears to be working.  If you try this and it works for you, go to Blyat's post of 09-08-2020 11:19 AM and confirm this solution.  He deserves the credit. 

On the other hand, this fix could still be considered "beta" in that it has been used exactly twice with consistent results.  Your use of this will confirm that it is an "Accepted Solution".  If you try this, please report back so that those who follow us will know it works.

HP Recommended

any update here? Is it still working after deactivating HP updates? If this is the case I am going to be ridiculously frustrated seeing as HP has continuously blamed the issue on Windows and insisted to me that disabling the WINDOWS updates were the way to fix the issue. 

HP Recommended

My Envy's barely a week old and I've had this happen to me several times already. The laptop would first freeze, and then the speakers would lock up, emitting a horrible grinding sound. Today, though, my laptop froze, the screen went blank for a few mins (no noise), and then it sort of restarted itself, but the audio wouldn't work. I then ran the HP support assistant fix audio issue utility and the machine completely froze - I ended up having to power down. A few days back, I updated the graphics driver but suffered a THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICED_DRIVER BSOD. Has anyone else had this issue?

HP Recommended

I feel your pain!  Several of us have had a degree of success using the technique of uninstalling the radeon graphic driver (the graphics card controls the sound on this computer), then installing the Radeon Graphics Software, including the newly released update, Rev. 20.9.1.  (the old Rev. was 20.8.3).  At this point, we think it is important to pause Windows Updates so that Windows doesn't overwrite the new, good drivers.
Here is the method I used, based on a lot of input from many others, notably Blyat:

AUDIO DRIVER ISSUES ON HP Envy x360 15m-ee0013dx laptop computers with AMD Ryzen CPU and AMD Radeon Graphics card

The issue is that the MIC and Speakers fail intermittently during Video Chat (Zoom, Skype) calls and occasionally "lock up" while emitting a loud noise (sometimes high pitch, sometimes a buzz) from the speakers.  The issues seems common to most HP Envy machines recently produced (since, say, July 2020).

This suggested fix is a compilation of information and advice received from other HP Envy users, most notably from Blyat, who really seems to have figured this out.  The information is anecdotal and appears to be unsupported by HP. 

The crux of the problem appears to be that the 15m-ee0013dx HP Envy x360 laptop is shipped with a minimalistic graphics driver version - a "lite" version, if you will.  This version either is not fully functional or is quickly replaced by Microsoft or Realtek drivers when system Updates are made.  The Updated drivers are broken and fail.

The sound on the Envy x360 is controlled by the Radeon Graphics controller (yes, sound controlled by graphics).

HP has not been able to solve this issue.  They see it as a "software" problem and try to charge users/owners an additional fee as a result.  In fact, this is a driver, or driver conflict issue and the problem has been in locating and verifying the correct, good driver to use.  It has been complicated by the fact that there is a Bang & Olufsen Audio Control, Realtek components, a Radeon Graphics Controller, Windows and Windows Update process - multiple hands in the pie.  This appears to be the best and most likely solution to date.

The apparent fix for the sound problems is a multistep process:

1) Remove the initial, old, or broken drivers

2) Clean up any remaining old AMD drivers

3) Install the new AMD Radeon software and drivers that correctly handle the hardware

4) Prevent the system from overwriting the newly installed correct drivers.

Here are the recommended steps:

1. If you want to be thorough, open the Device Manager (type "Device" into search line), open the "Sound, Video and Game Controllers", right click and UNINSTALL all the devices in there.  The one labeled "AMD High Definition Audio Device" is the MIC.  It should be uninstalled, too.
  2. Although it may not be required, you can also uninstall the program "HP Audio Switch".  As Blyat notes, it really doesn't do anything.  You can find it at start > settings > apps or by searching for "Add or Remove Programs ..." on the search line.
  3. Go to https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601 , download, install and execute the AMD Cleanup Utility to remove all old, initial AMD software and drivers.  Reboot, if required.
  4. Then go to the AMD Radeon Support page: https://www.amd.com/en/support , download and execute the Auto-Detect and Install utility.  As Blyat notes, this will not only install the most current and correct drivers, but will add Radeon Graphics software for your system - which is nice.  During this installation, make sure the "Factory Reset" box is checked - it should be by default.  Follow the prompts and reboot the system as directed. 
  5. Finally, Blyat also discovered that you need to prevent the Windows Update process from reinstalling the broken drivers.  While there is no permanent and foolproof way to do this (that I know of), you can stave off possible reinstallation of the bad drivers by postponing Windows Updates.  This will at least give you time to confirm that the installation of the Radeon Drivers was correct.  To pause or postpone Updates, go to start > settings > update & security and PAUSE the updates for 7 days. 

I applied this fix per Blyat's recommendation and it appears to be working.  If you try this and it works for you, go to Blyat's post of 09-08-2020 11:19 AM and confirm this solution.  He deserves the credit. 

On the other hand, this fix could still be considered "beta" in that it has been used exactly twice with consistent results.  Your use of this will confirm that it is an "Accepted Solution".  If you try this, please report back so that those who follow us will know it works.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.