Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 13 2018
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My mic on my end has been giving off static and audio issues for others or when recording. I've already reinstalled my drivers, restarted my laptop, turned off audio enhancements and unplugged my headphones. My headphones work perfectly on my phone so it is definetly either a software or internal hardware issue. I got this laptop last month and have no idea what to do. This problem is also the same for the laptop's internal mic so no idea what the problem is. Please help!!!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Can someone please help?????????????????????????????

HP Recommended

@HenryHa993, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Let us perform these steps to resolve this issue: 

Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

Also, Check for any pending Windows update.

Run an extensive test to identify the issue:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details.

1.  Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  4. Click Extensive Test.
  5. Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  6. While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

You may also refer to this document to resolve Microphone Problems

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Kumar, I have done as you have said but no errors have occured. Does this mean it is a hardware issue? It is also worth noting that sometimes the mic (both computer and headphones) work fine, sometimes after disabling and re enabling the drivers or randomly, but the static always returns.

HP Recommended

@HenryHa993

Welcome to HP support community.

If you've done the hardware test and no errors occurred, it's not a hardware issue, that's a good news!
That said, I suggest you
Try lowering the volume of your built-in speakers. 
If the issue persists, create a new user and check if that helps.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey Sandy, this unfortunately has no helped the problem. The mic static is still constant and now whenever I open my laptop from sleep there is no sound at all! I genuinely think this is a hardware issue and may bring it in for repairs sine it's in warranty. Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

bump

HP Recommended

@HenryHa993

If the issue persists, please contact our HP Support team for Service Options:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.