Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 13 ah0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After Windows 10 x64 update 1903 the sound stopped working, but playback was quickly fixed by HP updates.

However, mic input still does not work well - there is a heavy distortion of sound in telephony applications.

The 1903 update "happened" early in the summer, but there are still no driver updates from HP, or Realtek, at least publicly open for download.

Recording audio, or making calls became impossible on previously smoothly running laptop.

Some working solution is needed urgently

//I mean, a solution safe for other subsystems, and battery: obviously "BCDEDIT /SET DISABLEDYNAMICTICK YES" - breaking to fix - is not a solution.

And yes, I tried https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Bad-sound-quality-and-headset-microphone-not-working/m-...

Does not help, obviously.

BTW, if there is no fix for current hardware, how warranty-return should be performed? I have 3 years care-pack. Will it be replaced with a newer "not-worse" laptop with operational hardware?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

1) Japanese Support still did not contact me despite your forwarded request. It is still not available by phone, putting customers on infinite hold, resulting in serious phone bills without any results. This clearly tells that Japanese support SHOULD be finally restructured and all their managers fired and banned from returning to business.

2) I tried not-recommended methods of solving your problem with drivers (i.e. caused by your design and not user actions). And partially solved it by installing newer drivers from Omen 15t laptop. This is still not perfect solution, because Omen laptops are equipped with Microphone array and driver from top model X2 just does not work with ENVY 13. Driver from 15t has incorrect microphone configuration panel with two microphones. Anyway, it is the only working solution to microphone distortions problem.

And it characterizes your driver department very bad. You HAVE working drivers, but you just decided not making them available to customers using not so old laptop models.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Hale_JP

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Use the troubleshooting tool in Windows

Run the audio troubleshooting tool in Windows to automatically fix common audio recording and audio playback problems with your computer.

1. In Windows, type find and fix audio into Search, or right-click the speaker icon  on the taskbar and select Troubleshoot sound problems.

2. Select Find and fix audio playback problems or Find and fix audio recording problems from the Search results.

3. Click Next.

4. Select the device you want to troubleshoot, and then click Next.

5. Wait while the troubleshooter detects problems and makes changes (or prompts you to make changes).

The troubleshooter detecting audio problems

6. When the troubleshooter is done, the Troubleshooting has completed page displays, listing any problems found and what changes were made to the computer.

NOTE: 

For detailed information about the troubleshooting, click View detailed information in the troubleshooter window.

Troubleshooting completed

7. Click Close.

8. If a recommended action displays, select Apply this fix or Skip this step to continue to search for other problems.

Test for sound.

Also, ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for joining the HP Community.

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

As you may have read it in my message, I already installed ALL the available drivers, and tried ALL the CANNED answers from HP, and Microsoft. Support Assistant is a default preinstalled tool by HP. Why do I need installing it again? So why do you repeat posting this infinitely long text? You could just confirm, did I do that or not in 4 words.

I need some reasoned advice, or solution from experienced support engineer.

//Which I can not get in Japan, because they don't speak English, and don't offer e-mail support initiation. They support in English by email only after the ticket was forwarded from responsible person inside HP.

As an alternative, I want to register an RMA case, which is neither explained by HP in the tool and at the website.

HP Recommended

@Hale_JP

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Thank you. I am ready to provide necessary information

BTW, Microsoft support seems unable to do anything at the moment, because there are vendor(HP)-specific components, incompatible with their predefined "solutions".

HP Recommended

1) Japanese Support still did not contact me despite your forwarded request. It is still not available by phone, putting customers on infinite hold, resulting in serious phone bills without any results. This clearly tells that Japanese support SHOULD be finally restructured and all their managers fired and banned from returning to business.

2) I tried not-recommended methods of solving your problem with drivers (i.e. caused by your design and not user actions). And partially solved it by installing newer drivers from Omen 15t laptop. This is still not perfect solution, because Omen laptops are equipped with Microphone array and driver from top model X2 just does not work with ENVY 13. Driver from 15t has incorrect microphone configuration panel with two microphones. Anyway, it is the only working solution to microphone distortions problem.

And it characterizes your driver department very bad. You HAVE working drivers, but you just decided not making them available to customers using not so old laptop models.

HP Recommended

For those who wonder, where could those newer drivers be found, check this product page:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/omen-by-hp-15-dc0000-laptop-pc/20329817

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.