Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15-bw540ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good day! I use Windows 10 2004.  I installed the drivers from the HP official site. The operating system successfully recognizes the microphone, but the microphone does not work. Access to the microphone in the operating system is allowed. The Windows-troubleshooter did not detect any problems with the microphone. The HP Support Assistant didn't find any problems either. I increased the microphone volume to 77, set the gain to 20 dB, turned off all sound effects, turned off the exclusive mode, changed the bit depth and sample rate to different values. None of the above helped me. What should I do?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Yaros554 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are facing issues with the microphone.

In that case, please perform the system file check.

1) Select Start, and in the search box, enter Command Prompt. Press and hold (or right-click) Command Prompt (Desktop app) from the search results and select Run as administrator. 

2) Enter DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (note the spaces before each "/"). 

3) Enter sfc /scannow (note the space between "sfc" and "/"). 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the answer! I followed all the recommended steps, but it didn't help. The module did not find any errors.

HP Recommended

@Yaros554

I understand your concerns.

If you are having trouble with your microphone features, the following information can help you troubleshoot and resolve issues.

Make sure apps have access to the microphone

Microphone settings

If your microphone isn't detected after updating Windows 10, you may need to give your apps permission to use it.

• To let apps access the microphone, select Start  ,then select Settings  > Privacy  > Microphone  . Select Change, then turn on Allow apps to access your microphone.
  • After allowing access to the microphone, you can choose which Microsoft Store apps can access these features under Choose which Microsoft Store apps can access your microphone, and give access to non-Microsoft-Store desktop apps by ensuring that the switch beneath Allow desktop apps to access your microphone is set to On.

Others can't hear me

Try the following solutions:

• If your headset has a Mute button, make sure it isn't active.
  • Make sure that your microphone or headset is connected correctly to your computer.
  • Make sure that your microphone or headset is the system default recording device. Here's how to do this in Windows 10:
    1. Select Start , then select Settings  > System  > Sound  .
    2. In Input, ensure your microphone is selected in Choose your input device.
    3. To test your microphone, speak into it and check Test your microphone to make sure Windows is hearing you.

Sound settings

The microphone volume is too low or does not appear to be working at all

Try the following solutions:

• Make sure that the microphone or headset is connected correctly to your computer.
  • Make sure that the microphone is positioned correctly.
  • Increase the volume of your microphone. Here's how to do this in Windows 10:
    1. Select Start  , then select Settings  > System  > Sound  .
    2. In Input, ensure your microphone is selected under Choose your input device, then select Device Properties.
    3. On the Levels tab of the Microphone Properties window, adjust the Microphone and Microphone Boost sliders as needed, then select OK.
    4. Speak into your microphone while checking under Test your microphone to make sure your settings work. If you see the line moving from left to right, your microphone is working. If you see no change, the microphone is not picking up sound.

Others cannot hear me in Skype calls

Skype settings

Make sure that your microphone or headset is the Skype default recording device. Here's how:

1. If Skype is not open, select Start , then Skype  to open it.
  2. In the upper right corner of the Contacts List in Skype, select More , then Settings.
  3. In Audio & Video, under Microphone, make sure your microphone or headset is selected.
  4. Under Speakers, make sure your preferred speaker or headset is selected.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Access to the microphone is allowed for desktop applications, the maximum gain and maximum volume are set in the settings, but the microphone still does not work. Today I installed Ubuntu 20.04 alongside Windows. The microphone doesn't work in Ubuntu either.

HP Recommended

@Yaros554

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggets you contact our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Or you can contact the local service center for repair.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.