Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ae0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have recently noticed (or have rather been told) that I have loud background noise when using the laptop's internal microphone (as if someone was vacuuming, I'd suppose it must be the fan noise picked up by the microphone), and after opening the Bang & Olufsen control panel, the noise-cancelling option was/is indeed absent and I have found no way to get and enable it back. I have tried removing and reinstalling the Realtek driver (to version 6.0.8940.1) both from the HP support page and by letting windows install it automatically. I had also tried running the diagnostic utility, but it reported that the sound is functioning properly. Finally, I had tried to install the previous version of the driver, however, the installation utility reported that the OS version is incompatible. I believe it was functioning properly a month ago or so when I had Windows 10 1909 and an older driver version installed, but Windows 10 had since updated to 2004 and I had found no easy way to revert it without deleting my data. There are no updates available in HP Support Assistant nor in Windows Update menu. There are no error messages when I use the laptop's microphone, and apart from the noise cancelling, the sound seems to be working fine (including Bang & Olufsen enhancements).

What can I do to enable the noise-cancelling back? I have to use my laptop for the video conferencing, and I have been told that it is sometimes difficult to hear me over the noise, which was filtered out when the microphone was functioning properly. The laptop is Spectre x360 13" late 2017 and I have 64 bit Windows 10 Pro 2004 installed as my only OS (I have never reinstalled it apart from upgrading from Home to Pro)

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@mishakov

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are unable to find the noise cancellation option on the computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I checked the specifications of your computer and see that your computer doesn’t have a noise cancellation feature. However, it has noise-suppression.

Refer to the below service guide for your computer for more information.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05811755

I hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello. Thank you for your help, but the service guide does not answer my question. 

I suppose I have referred incorrectly to noise-suppression as noise cancellation, but despite how it is called,  there was an option in Bang & Olufsen control panel that had let me toggle the feature (in microphone settings), and now with it missing, the microphone is not working the way it was before and it is not suppressing the background/fan noise, and I had found no way to enable noise-suppression back again. 

HP Recommended

@mishakov

I recommend you uninstall the audio driver from the device manager and then download and install it from the below link and check whether you get the option back.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

As I've already mentioned, I have tried reinstalling the latest drivers I have found from the support page (sp103860) and the option to enable noise suppression did not reappear in the control panel.

HP Recommended

@mishakov

I understand your concerns.

Please perform the system reset and check.

Windows 10 has a reset feature that repairs your computer by reinstalling the operating system. This feature is recommended for recovery because it reinstalls Windows 10 while either preserving your personal data and customizations or removing all your personal data.

You have a choice of two methods to reset your computer.

• If Windows 10 loads correctly, see the section titled Perform a Windows 10 system reset in Windows in this document.

• If Windows 10 does not start correctly, see the section titled Perform a Windows 10 system reset through Windows Recovery Environment in this document.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Hello. I have just performed a system reset in Windows (with cloud download) and I still see no option to enable the microphone noise-suppression in Bang & Olufsen Audio Control panel.

HP Recommended

@mishakov

What is the version of Windows you have installed?

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have 64 bit Windows 10 Pro 2004.

HP Recommended

@mishakov

I recommend you download and install the driver from the below link and check if it helps.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp103501-104000/sp103860.exe

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.