Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 Convertible 14-ba0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, My built in microphone is not working. I have tried all of the troubleshooting steps and also a system reset. When I try to voice record it only records static. Any tips? Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@chloeed

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

• Step 1: Check the microphone hardware (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 
  • Step 2: Update the audio driver
  • Step 3: Use the Troubleshooting tool
  • Step 4: Configure the sound settings in Windows
  • Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03421813 to complete the troubleshooting step.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried all that, but the microphone stays dead, is it a hardware problem ?

HP Recommended

@pdm2390

Thank you for posting back.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

While you respond to that, I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed and this will isolate the failure of its a software issue system recovery will fix it.

While doing the recovery there is an option to backup your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

product nr is YoB44EA#ABH model nr 17-y072nd

I also tried to delete the microphone in the list of devices in Windows, then restart the computer, so Windows had to re-install the microphone, but this didn't have any result.  Did the same with the sound card: no effect.

I really wouldn't like to reset the laptop to its factory settings.  This means a lot of time spending on re-installing all the apps and especially, re-installing Windows.  Will I get my Windows licence back ?  The laptop came with pre-installed Windows version ...

grtz,

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi echo lake, 

Thank you for responding to my question about my microphone. I have already done all of those steps including resetting and reinstalling windows. The laptop registers the microphone...the troubleshooter says there is nothing wrong...but when I use the microphone it is just static. 

Any other tips?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@chloeed @Arcopolo

Let's try this:

• Step 1: Check the microphone hardware
  • Step 2: Update the audio driver
  • Step 3: Use the Troubleshooting tool
  • Step 4: Configure the sound settings in Windows
    Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03421813 to complete the troubleshooting steps.

And, also try this workaround:

• Open Control Panel.
  • Open the Hardware and Sound setting.
  • Open the Sound setting.
  • Select the Recording tab and double-click your microphone you have selected as the default recording device.
  • Click on the Level tab and reduce the Microphone Boost setting.

Please click “

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry, you keep repeating this as possible solutions, but I tried all this with no result

HP Recommended

Wow, you have static !? I have nothing but silence !

HP Recommended

@Arcopolo

I appreciate your efforts, if its a hardware related issue with Microphone port then computer needs service therefore software troubleshooting steps will not fix this issue. 

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/​​​​​​​

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.