Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 Convertible 2019
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am using Skype for Business for calls at work. After upgrading from Spectre x360 2017 (aexxx) to 2019 ('gem cut' apxxx) model, people started complaining about a 'background noise' on my end. Also, Skype for Business app often pops up a warning message: "You seem to be too close to the microphone" (or something along these lines) - but I am not.

I looks like the built-in microphone array in 2019 gem cut is very sensitive, and it is picking a lot of background noise. I never experienced this kind of problems on my previous Spectre x360 - though, it had some Bang&Olufsen software installed that offered 'noise cancellation' settings for the microphone array (my new Spectre x360 is generally bloatware-free).

Any one noticed similar behaviour on their Spectre x360 2019 ?

DISCLAIMER: Laptop's BIOS and device drivers are all up to date. Windows Troubleshooter doesn't find any issues with laptop's Audio.

@PiotrJJ,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Have you tried to record an audio using Recording App and check for the issue. 

Please share the product number of your PC to assist you better.

Let's try these steps here: To record audio on Windows 10

1. Open Start.
  2. Search for Video Recorder, and click the top result to open the app.
  3. Click the Record button.

4. Optional — Click the Flag button to add a marker in the recording. (This option won't interrupt the audio recording in any way, but when editing the track, you'll be able to quickly jump to important parts of the recording.)
  5. Optional — Click the Pause button to stop the recording without terminating the session.
  6. Click the Stop button to terminate the voice recording session.

Playing audio recordings

To play audio you recorded on your computer, use these steps:

1. Open Start.
  2. Search for Video Recorder, and click the top result to open the app.
  3. Select the recording from the left pane.
  4. Click the Play button to listen to the recording.

5. Once you complete the steps, click the Stop button to terminate and save the recording session.

Please check if you can hear the noise, If you don't hear any noise then the next step would be to uninstall the Skype and install the latest version. 

If you hear the noise from the recording the next step would be to run a test on the Audio from F2. 

I would suggest you could try to run the test on the audio from F2 (Please remember to capture the failure ID for further assistance).

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Please initiate a test on the Audio - The Audio Playback Test checks your system to make sure the audio device is functioning properly. During the test, a few music notes are played in sequence and then repeated. This test takes 1 minute to complete. Click Audio, then click Run once. Choose either the speakers or the headphones. When asked, enter the number of notes you heard.

Let me know how it goes for further assistance. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, Jeet_Singh.

I made a few test audio recordings (using Voice Recorder app). While I can hear some faint background noise when playing back the recordings... a constant hum of the main road in the distance; a bird chirping outside my window... I was not able to re-create the issue (i.e. the loud background noise reported by people I connect to on Skype calls). My own voice is loud and clear - I would say, perhaps even a bit too loud, even though I was not leaning toward the microphone.

I am running the latest version of Skype for Business on my laptop. Audio drivers are up to date, as well.

The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics tool would only test the speakers - not the microphone. Not relevant to mu issue.

Thank you for replying, @PiotrJJ,

This looks like a possible hardware failure. I would recommend you contact our HP support team for further assistance. 

HP support team can be reached on this link.

Let me know if you need any further assistance. 

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.