Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY dv6-7210us Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have an HP ENVY dv6-7210us Notebook PC purchased in December 2012. I recently had to format my hard drive and reinstall Windows. The device is now running Windows 10 version 1909. Most of the correct drivers were downloaded automatically from Windows Update, but the mute light on my keyboard no longer works (the button still toggles mute, just without an indicator light). Is there a driver that works with Windows 10 version 1909 that I can install to fix this issue?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@tech234a
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Use HP PC Hardware Diagnostics to complete functional test of the keyboard and identify any problems with the hardware.

NOTE: Bluetooth devices are not currently supported.
  1. Download the latest version of HP PC Hardware Diagnostics.

2. In Windows, search for and right-click HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows, and then select Run as administrator.

Run HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows as an administrator

3. Click Component Tests, click Input Devices and then select the Keyboard Test.

Running the Keyboard Test

4. Click Run once to begin the test.

The test ends when you complete the tasks or after 3 minutes.

For more information about using the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows, go to HP PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Echo_Lake

I tried running the test you suggested and the test passed. The utility did not offer me any drivers, so the keyboard mute indicator light still does not work. Is there a utility for checking for drivers?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@tech234a

Thank you for posting back. 

Let's try this:

1. Right-click on the Start or Windows icon and open the "Device Manager".
  2. Expand the "Keyboard devices".
  3. Right-click on the "Keyboard driver" and select Uninstall.
  4. Restart your PC for the change to take effect. After restarting. Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver. 
  5. Do not perform any manual upgrades to the driver until it does automatically.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.