Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 15t-bl100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The orange mute light switches on or off depending on what is installed.  Lately, the light stays off with the volume at 0.  In the past, Microsoft Office updates would turn the light back on.  I am waiting for the new Office update to see if the light will come back on.  The audio driver installed is the latest available.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@A123H18

Thanks for replying,

Sure, you could wait for the BIOS update 🙂

If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out to us,

Cheers 🙂

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@A123H18

Welcome to HP Forums,

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand, mute light switches on and off depending on the installations on your notebook, 

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

Does the sound go mute when the light turns on?

Since how long you are facing this issue? 

Have you tried any troubleshooting?

Are you able to turn off the light when it turns on automatically after installing the update?

While you respond to that, let's install BIOS update from HP website: Click here

Let me know how this goes,

Cheers 🙂

HP Recommended

The sound does go mute when the light turns on.  The issue has existed since receiving the notebook.  I can not recall if I tried the troubleshooter or not.  The light can be turned off and on when the mute light is working after an update that turns the light back on.

HP Recommended

@A123H18

Thanks for responding, 

It's great to have you back 🙂

Have you updated BIOS? 

Let's perform these steps to resolve the issue: 

Update the Audio drivers: Update the audio driver using Device Manager as follows:

1. Connect to the Internet.
  2. Click Start, and type Device Manager into the Search field, and then click Device Manager in the Programs list.

Device Manager opens.

3. Click Sound, video and game controllers.

4. Right-click the name of the audio device listed under Sound, video and game controllers.

5. Select Update Driver Software.

6. Click Search automatically for updated driver software.

7. Windows checks for and installs any updated drivers found. The Window displays whether the computer already has the latest available driver or if Windows was able to successfully update the audio driver.

8. If a window opens that asks you to restart the computer, restart the computer.

9. Test for sound. If sound problems persist or no drivers could be found and installed, continue with the next step to check the device manager.

Also, perform Windows Update and Update the drivers available in HP Support Assistant following these steps: 

1. In Windows, search for and open HP Support Assistant.

2. The first time you open HP Support Assistant, a Welcome to HP Support Assistant window opens.

The Welcome window displays various default settings. Change the default settings, if desired, and then click Next.

3. Click My devices on the top of the HP Support Assistant window, and then click Updates in the window for your device. The Updates window opens.

4. If HP Support Assistant detects updates, a list of updates displays in the Updates available window.

5. To check for recent updates, click Check for updates and messages.

6. Download the updates 

Keep me posted 🙂

Cheers 🙂

HP Recommended

The BIOS was updated when F.37 became available.  I tried Device Manager and no better drivers are available.  Also, I tried the update for My Devices with the Support Assistant and no new updates were available.  The latest Office update did not turn the light back on.  I did try the mute button and the button appears to be working except for the light.  The sound works just not the light.

HP Recommended

@A123H18

Thanks for the information,

Does light turn off and on by its own after performing these troubleshooting steps? 

Let's perform a Chipset drivers update from our HP Website: www.hp.com/drivers

Keep me posted,

Good Luck!

HP Recommended

I checked in Device Manager and the latest version of Intel's MEI driver is installed. (Version 11.7.0.1057) 

HP Recommended

@A123H18

Since we have tried possible steps, I would suggest you we try Push Button Reset. This will bring your notebook to it's factory condition, 

You could refer to this article for the steps: Click here

NOTE: BACK UP YOUR PERSONAL DATA BEFORE PERFORMING RESET.

Let me know how this goes,

Have a great day 🙂

HP Recommended

I do not want to do a reset for a light.  I will wait for the next BIOS update that could be available soon that supports Windows 10 1803 that the notebook is currently running.  Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

@A123H18

Thanks for replying,

Sure, you could wait for the BIOS update 🙂

If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out to us,

Cheers 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.