Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

My right speaker also does not work.  Both channels work out of the audio port.  Design flaw?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Plato1123

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service.

I understand you an issue with the sound on your device,

I'll be glad to help you out, however, for an accurate solution I will need more details:

• What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: https://hp.care/2rSuDJS;
    • (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).
  • Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums?
  • When was the last time it worked without these issues? 
  • Did you run a hardware test on the computer using the F2 key during a restart?

In the meantime, The best way to resolve the issue is by using the HP Guided Troubleshooter: 

https://hp.care/2IBbuEL

(simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

Please reply with the details for further assistance.

Eager to help!

If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Plato1123

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service.

I understand you an issue with the sound on your device,

I'll be glad to help you out, however, for an accurate solution I will need more details:

• What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: https://hp.care/2rSuDJS;
    • (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).
  • Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums?
  • When was the last time it worked without these issues? 
  • Did you run a hardware test on the computer using the F2 key during a restart?

In the meantime, The best way to resolve the issue is by using the HP Guided Troubleshooter: 

https://hp.care/2IBbuEL

(simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

Please reply with the details for further assistance.

Eager to help!

If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The part # for this is Z4Z38UAR#ABA. 15-bl000 x360  series. (15" 2017 HP Elitebook x360)  I was actually amazed to find the bios update (at https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-15-bl000-x360-convertible-pc/13823372 ) completely fixed both the right speaker issue and another weird issue with the audio driver disappearing from device manager.  

So she's working, I'm pleasantly relieved.  Thank you!

HP Recommended

@Plato1123

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad I could contribute towards identifying and leading you towards the solution for this concern.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know that you accept my suggestions,

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And select Accepted as solution to help others find the same solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately the right speaker cuts out again after about a day.  When I install that bios update again it comes back for a day or so.  I've copied that file update to my desktop and renamed it from sp87612.exe to soundfix.exe (lol).  When I run that bios update the sound comes back for about a day, so there is clearly still a major bug in the bios of this thing.  I suspect HP will figure out the glitch eventually so I won't be returning this laptop to the seller.  HP, please fix this asap.  Thank you,
Patrick M

HP Recommended

@Plato1123

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

That said, is there any particular reason you are upgrading or updating the BIOS?

The reason I ask, is that the BIOS only contains a fix for issues reported in the past or an upgrade so to speak to resolve a certain issue...if you look into the "Details" section under the BIOS on the HP website, it would provide all the details about the fixes it contains.

For instance, the BIOS update you are installing contains the fix for:

Fixes an intermittent issue where the mouse pointer becomes unresponsive.

If your device doesn't require the above fix, you don't have to upgrade/update the BIOS, therefore ensuring the solution with the audio, remains intact.

However, if you require any fix that needs the BIOS update, please let me know what that is, so that we could work on it too.

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, when I bought this laptop the right speaker would not work at all and the sound driver completely disappeared from device manager after a couple days of owning it (so no sound out of either speaker or headphones) and nothing I could do, reinstalling drivers etc would make it return.  I read somewhere that the new bios update addressed this issue, and lo and behold they were right, sound returned.  However the right speaker cut out again after a couple days, but the driver in device manager has stayed so I have not completely lost sound like I did before.  So all sound was gone from this laptop within 3 days of purchasing it and I spent several hours troubleshooting it before finally finding the bios update resolved it.  Except that the right speaker cuts out after a day or two.  It's not a huge deal as I mostly use the sound with headphones and that has worked consistantly since I installed the bios update.  But again, with the older bios, there was no sound whatsoever after a few days.  Btw, I am an experienced microsoft/windows tech who can fix anything on a PC, period.  Oh and by the way, the bios includes useful utilities for testing the sound.  Those utilities confirm that the right speaker does not work, until I install the newest bios once again, in which case the right speaker resumes working both in the bios component test and in windows.  TLDR; HP still has a major glitch in their bios or hardware on this model that affects sound, as reported by numerous other users.  But again to be clear, using the pre-windows bios componenent test I have confirmed the right speaker does not work unless I reinstall the bios, at which point it works for a day or two in both windows and the pre-windows component test.  Therefore it is not a windows driver or software issue, it is a bug in the bios for this model.  Thanks,

Patrick

HP Recommended

@Plato1123,

read the post. thanks for the update. It is great to have you back. As @Riddle_Decipher I am responding on his behalf.

As you've tried all the steps and the issue persists, please contact Hp phone support as they may have multiple options to assist you in real time. A one to one interaction with them will keep you in good stead.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: 

1. Click on this link – https://hp.care/2moMFSc
  2. 2) Click on “Continue as guest”.
  3. 3) Enter the serial of your device.
  4. 4) Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. 5) Click on “Show Options”.

Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.
They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I think previously I suggested it was an elitebook, it's actually an HP Spectre.  I think the model # I provided was correct.  My right speaker still cuts out after a day or two, including in the pre-windows bios sound test.  If I run the bios update, the one I've installed multiple times, the sound works again for a day or two.  The headphone port works consistantly so I'm not too concerned about it, but I hope HP is able to resolve this in a future bios update.  Thanks for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.