Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I'm having a similar problem on my HP Spectre x360 - 13-ae004nl. It started a day ago and I couldn't hear audio on youtube's videos (sometimes yes, most of the times no... coming and going).

First I thought it was a malware or virus so I did all diligence checks (I have McAfee) then I thought it was something to do with Chrome so did all updates (but all was updated!) and re-installations, at last I thought it could be something to do with internet (maybe ups and downs!) so I went to sleep.. Then today, I tried to see a video on my PC and realized that also here I couldn't hear the video's audio. Only using earphones I was able to hear the audio and, funny enough, when pulling the earphones audio came back on PC sometimes for a few seconds and other times for a few minutes... did all checks with hp diagnostics and windows 10, but audio fails them all.

I'll add that before having this issue I did some HP UPDATES from my pc's hp support assistant program.... could it be there that something went wrong?

Can someone help?

Grazie from Italy!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi again,

In the meantime, I tweaked here and there on my laptop and finally B&O audio control reappeared (don't ask me how!).

I don't recall which were the settings before my yesterday's audio issue but now this is my situation: if Multistreaming is turned off I can bearly hear audio with headphones and, unplugging them, sometimes I may hear audio directly from PC speakers (only for a few seconds).
If Multistreaming is on, I have two choices: Internal Speakers or Headphones. When I choose Internal Speakers, I hear audio from the pc speakers and, vice versa, if I choose Headphones, I  hear audio from them.

Can someone please check if these settings are correct? Thank you!

a) B&O Multistreaming OFF

B&O Multistreaming OFF.jpg

b) B&O Multistreaming ON + PC SPEAKERS

B&O Multistreaming ON + only PC Speakers.jpg

c) B&O Multistreaming ON + Headphones

B&O Multistreaming ON + Headphones.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi! @DinaItaly,

Have you tried playing audio from a different audio player or a different browser?

Please share the product number of the PC to assist you better.

Try the steps recommended below to solve audio issues.

Set Your internal Speakers as a Default Device

Some sound-related settings may not in good configuration. You can go to Playback devices to modify the settings.

1. Right-click the sound icon in the notification area and select Playback devices.
2. On the Sound interface, there are two devices in the list. Right-click the headphones icon and select the Properties.
3. Go to the Advanced tab.
4. Uncheck the Give exclusive mode applications priority.
5. Click the OK button.

To enable internal speakers, back to the Sound interface and right-click the speakers icon. Select the Set as Default Device.

Right-click on volume>choose playback devices>choose speakers>click properties>Enhancements>add a tick to the disable enhancements box.

Please try the steps recommended below.

Go to Windows Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers section.
In the list of audio device drivers, look for Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio. This is the device driver for BeatsAudio (a little bit sneaky, wouldn’t you say?).
Right-click and select Disable. The downward arrow displays on this driver, indicating it is disabled. (NOTE: At this point, you won’t be able to play any music files.)
Right-click and select Update Driver Software.
Select Browse my computer for driver software.
Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
You should see a window that says Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware. NOTE: If you see a window that says something like This is the best driver for this device, exit the window and repeat steps 4, 5, and 6.
In the Model box, highlight High Definition Audio Device (this is the substitute audio device driver) and click Next.
At the Update Driver Warning window, click Yes. You should see a confirmation window with High Definition Audio Device displayed. Click Close.
In the list of audio device drivers in the Sound, video and game controllers section, you’ll notice that the High Definition Audio Device now displays instead of Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio.
At the prompt to reboot, click Yes.
If the issue still persists try the steps recommended below.

Lastly, try running an audio test from F2 system diagnostics page under components test select audio test and check if the hardware components on the PC are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC. Click Here

Refer this article to know more information about audio issues. Click Here

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ciao A4Apollo!

Thank you for helping me out with this audio issue on my HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ae0xx - 2PL61EA#ABZ.

I tried to follow all your suggestions but I had no success... I turned out having only headphones and no internal speakers.

So I reconfigured as last night. Now I have both speakers, internal and headphones, with these characteristics:

1. I can hear audio through internal speakers only if B&O Audio Control  is set on Multistreaming
  2. I can switch from internal speakers to headphones or vice versa only through HP Audio Switch and not simply by plugging or unplugging my headphones from pc
  3. If I change the Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio driver with the High Definition Audio Device driver, as you suggested, I loose my internal speakers and have only headphones as a choice moreover B&A Audio Control disappears

Any suggestions?

Grazie again for your patience

audio.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi! @DinaItaly,

Thanks for the update.

Did you try running an audio test as suggested from my previous post?

Try updating the BIOS and audio drivers to the latest version from the links below and check if it helps.

Update the BIOS using this link. Click Here

Also, update the audio drivers using this link. Click Here

Let me know if this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ciao A4Apollo!

Grazie for your quick reply.

I have done all downloads and checks you have suggested but my issue has not yet resolved itself.

I believe there must be a bad configuration or some kind of conflict somewhere.

Today I'll check settings on another laptop and try to see if it's only a configuration issue.

What I still don't get are three questions:

1.  Could it be that B&A Audio Control overwrites windows 10 settings? Is there a way to disable temporary B&A Audio Control? Last night after several tries I was able to hear audio through laptop speakers keeping Multistreaming off but then, for a cross check test, I ticked the "set to default" button in the B&A Audio Control and again I couldn't hear pc speakers without setting again Multistreaming on.

2. Why is it that my headset speaker always turns out to be the default one when I have set the Internal Speakers as the default one? What is changing my settings?

3. Why, when hearing audio from the laptop speakers and then plugging in the headphones, audio continues through laptop speakers and doesn't automatically go to headphones (the only way to achieve this is to manually switch internal speaker to headset with HP AUDIO SWITCH or with WINDOWS AUDIO SETTINGS (right-click sound on notification bar and select Audio Settings)

Any other suggestions?

I would love to click the Accept as Solution button in the post but still haven't solved the audio problem.

A presto, dina

HP Recommended

Hi! @DinaItaly

Thanks for the update.

1. There is no way you can disable the B&A audio control. However, you can uninstall the B&A audio software from the control panel program section and use windows, generic audio drivers.

Uninstall your audio driver

• In Device Manager, right-click (or press and hold) the audio driver, and then select Uninstall.

• Restart your device and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

• In Device Manager, right-click (or press and hold) your audio driver.

• Then select Update driver > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, select High Definition Audio Device, and select Next

• Follow the instructions to install it.

Turn off Audio Enhancements

• Follow these steps:
    • Select the Start button, type Sound in the search box, and then select Sound Control Panel from the list of results.

• On the Playback tab, right-click (or press and hold) the Default Device, and then select Properties.

• On the Enhancements tab, select the Disable all enhancements checkbox and try to play your audio device.

• If that doesn't work, select Cancel and, on the Playback tab, select another default device (if you have one), select the Disable all enhancements check box, and try to play audio again. Do this for each default device.

2. If the speakers are not functioning correctly it defaults to headphones.

3. Try the steps recommended below if you still have audio issues after trying the steps suggested.

1. Press the Start button, then type troubleshooting, and select it from the search results.
  2. Click View all.
  3. Select Playing Audio.
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting.
  5. When the troubleshooter is done, it would list any problems found and what changes were made to the computer.
  6. If a recommended action is displayed, select Apply this fix.

Let me know how it goes!

Take Care! 

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.