Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
PAVILLION X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I THINK I UNINSTALLED SOME APPS I SHOULDN'T HAVE AND NOT I HAVE NO SOUNDS AND VIDEOS WILL NOT PLAY. I UNINSTALLED SOME SORT IF IR APP WITH A CRAB AS AN ICON. NOT SURE HOW TO GET THEM BACK. I HAD SOUND TODAY PRIOR TO THIS ISSUE.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@LEFTY11HEW Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the laptop does play any sound and videos.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

Please perform the below steps and check.

The incorrect audio settings on your laptop can also trigger the no sound issues. You can follow the instructions below to check your audio settings:

1. On your desktop, right-click the speaker icon on the lower-right corner, and then select Sounds.
  2. Navigate to the Playback tabRight-click anywhere on the Playback tab of the Sound window, and make sure you select Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices options.
  3. If your laptop speaker is disabled, right-click your laptop speaker and select Enable.
  4. Select the speaker / headphone you’re using and click Set Default.
  5. Click OK to save the changes.
  6. On your desktop, right-click the speaker icon on the lower-right corner, and then select Open Volume Mixer.
  7. If you see some application is muted, click the speaker icon under that application to unmute it.
  8. Play a song on your laptop to see if you fixed the no sound issue. If not, move on to the next step.
  9. On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and X at the same time. Then select Device Manager to open it.
  10. In Device Manager, double-click Sound, video and game controllers to expand the list. If you see a downward arrow next to your audio device, right-click it then select Enable device to enable it.

Play a song on your HP laptop to see if the no sound issue is resolved. If not, try the next fix to restart Windows audio service.

If the Windows audio service is stopped, your audio device may not function properly. Try restarting Windows audio service to see if you can fix it. Here is how to do it:

1. On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time to open the Run dialog. Type services.msc and press Enter. You’ll be prompted for permission. Click Yes to open Services.

2. Scroll down to locate Windows AudioRight-click it and select Properties.

3. Under the General tab, if the service is disabled, click Star to enable it. For Startup type, select Automatic.

4. Navigate to the Recovery tab. For First failure, select Restart the Service. Then click OK to save the changes.

5. Locate the service Windows Audio Endpoint Builder. Follow step 3 and step 4 above to do the same thing for Windows Audio Endpoint Builder.

6. Restart your PC.

See if you fix this issue after restarting Windows audio service.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.