Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 13 (19,090 Views)

No Audio Output Device Installed | No CD/DVD |

issues: no audio output device no cd/dvd detected

my laptop suddenly lost its sound. though computer beeps can be heard (i.e. computer warning when ejecting a device)

but not music. or any other sound. so i figured its a software problem so i decided to install drivers from hp's support site.. still no go. so i then looked at the device manager and saw that the audio device doesn't exist. conexant high definition audio device isnt listed. so i tried updating my bios thinking that it would fix the problem. still nothing. so i used the recovery software in my computer and thats why im here. now searching around the forums its unfortunate that there are alot of people having the same issues and not having any of the solutions. i dont know what else to do. i think its past due for my laptop's warranty. but as a given fact that its a common issue with dv series from hp. i think they should do something about their product.

HP pavilion dv6700

p/n: kn831ua

model: 6815nr

0 Kudos
Intern
Message 2 of 13 (19,051 Views)

Re: No Audio Output Device Installed | No CD/DVD |

[ Edited ]

The issue might be due to various reasons such as corrupted audio drivers.

Visit the below link for more information on how to troubleshoot the issue:

http://notebook-solutions.blogspot.com/2009/05/no-audio-in-notebook.html

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01763067

Honor Student
Message 3 of 13 (19,047 Views)

before posting here i have tried googling and also have tried the suggestions on the link you gave me. unfortunately i have tried them again and it doesnt work.

i even tried to restore my computer. right now my computer is like brand new. i used the recovery feature and its good as new except that it doesnt have sound.

i suspect a hardware problem which will be a pain if this was the case.

Top Student
Message 4 of 13 (18,944 Views)

Re: No Audio Output Device Installed

Good luck!  HP is not willing to take control of this issue.  It does not matter which model notebook you have, it seems to be a consistent problem with HP and their solution is to send it in for a fee of $300-400.  My current model is dv4.  The HP pavilion I bought in 2007 had multiple issues and was finally replaced by Best Buy under their extended warranty after it went out for servicing five times.  In April 2009 I  stupidly replaced it with another HP notebook, my current one which now has to be sent out for servicing.  I bought HP Notebooks for 3 of my children when they went to college and two of them have had to be replaced.  This makes the fourth HP Notebook that ran into problems when they were under two years old. NEVER AGAIN will I buy another HP product because they are inferior products.

Top Student
Message 5 of 13 (18,856 Views)

I had the same issue on my HP Pavalion dv6700 after a previous update installation when I noticed the message of No Audio Ouput Device Installed message as I cursored over the "speaker icon".  Long story short, I tried everything. Here is the fix.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

When you get to that homepage, uncheck the Free McAfee® Security Scan Plus. Then click on the agree and install now link.

Not only did the installation of adobe flashplayer fix the No Audio Ouput Device Installed issue, but if you were having problems with not being able to view videos/advertisements on some webpages, this download will clear that problem up too.

-STREET

Tutor
Message 6 of 13 (18,615 Views)

No audio output device installed, no cd/dvd installed.  Sometimes they just work, many times apparently for no reson they don't work, not shown in device maneger either,...tried all the solutions....nothing, ...HP support....doesn't care. Smiley Sad

Student
Message 7 of 13 (18,066 Views)

[ Edited ]

~~~~~~~  ~~~~ no audio device (error code 43)~~~~~ no dvd-rw drive~~dvd absent in device manager~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have an HP Pavilion dv6700  model dv6915nr with Windows 7. Bought it to repair and sell and tired everything to figure this out. Then I found this forum and heard tht it could be a problem with WINDOWS UPDATE. So I manually uninstalled every update and security update that it would allow me to uninstall. Took about 30 minutes, restarted 3 times. *You do not have to restart each time, dont bother. You only need to restart when it stops allowing you to uninstall more updates.*

The laptop also has a USB unidentified device code 43 saying the device signaled the os it had a problem and Windows shut it down. Maybe this is the root cause? So anyway restarted and -  my audio device magically worked.  Still have a couple more updates that wont uninstall, unfortunately. Those might fix the dvd drive. But I restarted again and lost the sound device. no longer detected...

Come On HP ! A software patch could solve this. Where are you???

~I also bought a sound board and dvd drive and when installed it did the same thing. DVD drive opens and green led works but wont read discs, isnt in device manager, just like the "sound, viedo, and game controllers" tree should be.

Highlighted
Tutor
Message 8 of 13 (17,881 Views)

[ Edited ]

To solve the No Audio Output Device Installed in my laptop, I have tried the following:

1) GO BACK INTO "Device Manager" (dreaded, soul-crushing thing)

2) Go into "SYSTEM DEVICES"

3) Find "System speaker"

4) Uninstall it.

5) Go into hibernate/restart (I hibernated for a few minutes), cross your fingers and hope the dreaded red X is gone.

I hope it works for you Smiley Happy

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/itprovistahardware/thread/b5e3250b-2ffc-443e-8e67-4...

Student
Message 9 of 13 (10,883 Views)

i have a h pavilion and it has no sound how do i download a new one if i can 

Honor Student
Message 10 of 13 (10,761 Views)

I AM ABOUT TO PURCHASE ANOTHER COMPUTER OVER THIS ISSUE AND IT WON'T BE AN HP!!!!!    A couple of posts back it looked like someone came as close as anyone yet to solving this problem.   I have been without audio on my computer FOR OVER 10 MONTHS.  COME ON HP GET ON THE BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation