Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavillion x2 Detachable
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, i just recently got my convertible laptop. I have found ou that the audio doesn't work due to there being no audio output device installed, and after researching, I found out that there was a problem with the the Intel SST Audio Device. The device status stated: 

"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There are no compatible drivers for this device.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver."

I tried updating the driver but the computer could not find any drivers for the device. 

Can anybody fix this for me please?

Thank You.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi @JD_gin,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP Pavilion x2 Notebook and issues with sound drivers not installed correctly. In the Device Manager, right-click on Double-click on Sound, video, and game controllers and select all that are listed and uninstall the Driver Software. Here is the download to the Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio Driversp69248.exe.

You could  try using the Windows Update Troubleshooting tool to fix any updates that have not come through for Windows.  Please restart the Notebook twice to make sure all update have been completed!

You could also try in the Device Manager, click the arrow next to Display Adaptors to expand that category
Right-click on Graphics and select Update Driver Software if more than 1 Graphics adapter do 1 at a time.
Choose the option to Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software.
The Notebook should find and automatically install the updated driver
After the installation is complete, restart your Notebook.

Please let me know how this goes.

You can say thanks for trying to help by clicking the Thumbs Up below!:smileyhappy:.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi, Same problem, I tried this.  Uninstall driver OK. downloaded file OK.  Ran.  Exception 0xc0000409 and stopped.  Then STT audio only shows as "unknown device".  I seem to be going backwards!

Incidentally, indicator led on f6 key lights fromt time to time for no reason, (key does not switch adio on / off)

any ideas please?

HP Recommended

I've had this HP Pavilion X2 for about a month and everything has been fine until today.

I now have exactly the same problem. Little red 'x' next to the sound icon. No audio output device is installed. I also have the same issues with the Intel SST Audio Device (WDM) in device manager.

Can't update the driver, since device manager can't find one. 

Surely HP must have a version of this driver, they installed it in the first place. But if they have, I can't find it.

I've also noticed this issue mentioned on other forums, so we are not alone.

Come on HP. What is the solution?

HP Recommended

Hi Fotodemon , and others..

Not a HP , speaking only in my name. This could be a solution.

Press Win+X key , or right click on Start button.

Open device manager.

Usualy , it must show „unknown device“.

Right click , choose „update driver“

Choose second (bottom ) option , let me pickup driver from PC

Again choose bottom option , pickup the driver from the list.

Choose audio controler

On the list – left side – choose Intel corporation (the first one !!! )

On the right side choose  Intel SST Audio Device , and instal it.

You will be prompt not to do it , but do it hovewer.

It should solve emediatly the issue.

All the best!!!

Dindin

<<<-------***

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Fixed. Thank you Dindin. I also had to download and install the latest HP update to the Intel Chipset (which seems to update the Audio driver).

HP Recommended

THANK YOU THANK YOU SO MUCH! This worked

HP Recommended

Thanks dindin.  I was having the same problem and this did the trick!

HP Recommended

hi

i have hp pavilion x2 windows 10 installed but sound error.

shows no audio output device is installed.

i have the following sound drivers installed.

conexant i2s audio codec

intel sst audio device

but still sound is not working pls try to resolve this problem

HP Recommended

Hi Faroo , 

Thry plese , what Fotodemon did first , instal chipsett driver from HP Support page , reboot.

If you still can see Intel driver , and it have no audio devices instaled , then deinstal the driver , reboot, it must show unknown device (properties , details , hardware ID , dev must be 8086 , which is code for Intel.

Then perform the troubleshooting from first post.

All the best , 

Dindin

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.