Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17- 17f11nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have not had sound on my laptop in about 6 months, it has a red X through the sound icon on the taskbar, and it says ,"No Speakers or Headphones Plugged In".  I have noticed that on occasion,  if I put my laptop to sleep, then wake it, the sound will come on. But that doesn't happen very often.

If anyone could please help me fix this I would appreciate it so much. I have tried everything, I do not know what else to do. I 've done so many things I can't even make a list... it would take to long... Some of the this I've tried are uninstall & reinstall the realtec driver, system restore, update BIOS, I even did a full system recovery to factory settings; I really thought that would fix it, it did not.

Realtec Audio does not show up anywhere on the computer, the only time I can see it is if I go to Device Manager Sounds, then go to show hidden devices. I really don't know what the problem is. Please help me, I have spent so many hours over the past 6 months trying to fix this.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@cenichols85 Since you've done everything that could possibly resolve this issue and yet the issue persists, I recommend you perform a hardware test to identify the cause of the failure and we can work on a solution accordingly:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.
  • If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

With that said, Welcome to HP Forums! 😉

Keep us posted. Although, I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

@cenichols85 I see that you've edited the post, is there something I should know? Is it working now? Please give me something to work with!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tryed to do the test like you said. It ra

@Riddle_Decipher wrote:

@cenichols85I see that you've edited the post, is there something I should know? Is it working now? Please give me something to work with!

@Riddle_Decipher wrote:

@cenichols85I see that you've edited the post, is there something I should know? Is it working now? Please give me something to work with!

n for about an hour & a half; got to 10% and then the computer shut off. The sound issue obviosly is still the same.

When the test started at said it would take 7 hours & 45 minutes, so I figured I would maybe try to do it again tonight, but it will probally do the same thing and shut off again.

If you have any ideas please let me know.

Thanks

HP Recommended

@cenichols85 The test is run outside windows (using f2 during restart) and if the device is shutting down during the test it could mean there's a more than meets the eye, possibly a hardware malfunction within the device.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The test just finished, it said "Extensive Test: Passed".  I'm not sure what that means, but I still don't have sound. If you coud please tell me how I can get the sound back, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

HP Recommended

@cenichols85 The test passed, this means there are no hardware issues on the device, it's most likely related to a software malfunction, and I suggest you backup all personal data and reset windows using the steps mentioned in this article: Click here for steps.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have already completly reinstalled Windows. It did not fix the problem.

HP Recommended

@cenichols85 I'm afraid that would confirm a hardware malfunction and I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options:

follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on "Continue as guest".

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, is yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.