ucidxel Top Student
Top Student
9 8 0 0
Message 1 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No sound coming from laptop or headphones.

hp pavillion g6
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a HP Pavillion G6 with Windows 7 (64-bit).

The issue came randomly one day a couple of months ago, I turned on my laptop and there was no sound. I tried headphones, no sound. When I tried hooking up my laptop to my tv with a hdmi cord, it did work. I've tried re-downloading, uninstallling, updating, rolling back every driver I could find for my audio. I even restored my computer to factory settings. I am really out of ideas here, please help!

15 REPLIES 15
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9856 9841 921 1440
Message 2 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, @ucidxel – Hope you are well!

Thank you for becoming an HP Forum member. It is a dynamite location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others.

Appreciate your efforts in updating the drivers. Now let's try the below-mentioned steps to fix the audio issues:

• Go to device manager (You can give a right click on windows logo on bottom left corner of your screen and select device manager from the list)
  • Now maximize the “Sound, video and game controllers” from the list. You will see the audio driver. Right-click on “IDT high definition audio CODEC” / “Realtek audio CODEC” and select “Update driver software”.
  • Select “Browse my computer for driver software” – Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.
  • Select “High Definition Audio Device” (Not IDT High Def... or Realtek High def…  This is important) and click Next. You will get a warning message but reply “Yes”.
  • Once windows have successfully updated the driver software, try playing the audio again and check.

I hope that fixes the audio related issue in your Pavilion notebook.

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome.

Cheers :)

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
0 Kudos
ucidxel Top Student
Top Student
9 8 0 0
Message 3 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey 

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9856 9841 921 1440
Message 4 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @ucidxel,

Appreciate your efforts.

Try the steps mentioned here: http://hp.care/2bV6QTG

Let me know if that helps!

Good luck :)

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
0 Kudos
ucidxel Top Student
Top Student
9 8 0 0
Message 5 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello again @Dvortex,  It's been a little while but I tried everything on that list. One thing that stuck out was that on the first step, when I used the Microsoft Sound Troubleshooter, I followed the directions and selected "Troubleshoot audio playback"and it came back as "Troubleshooting could'nt identify the problem". When I selected "view additonal information" everthing came back as "issue not present". It seemed a little strange to me. Hopefully, this helps us find a solution. Thank you for all of your help!

0 Kudos
ucidxel Top Student
Top Student
9 8 0 0
Message 6 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello again @Dvortex,  It's been a little while but I tried everything on that list. One thing that stuck out was that on the first step, when I used the Microsoft Sound Troubleshooter, I followed the directions and selected "Troubleshoot audio playback"and it came back as "Troubleshooting could'nt identify the problem". When I selected "view additonal information" everthing came back as "issue not present". It seemed a little strange to me. Hopefully, this helps us find a solution. Thank you for all of your help!

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9856 9841 921 1440
Message 7 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, @ucidxel

Thanks for the update!

Try creating a new user account on your computer. Once done, try playing the audio from the new account.

Go to http://hp.care/2fDYaRt and follow the steps under "Creating a new account in Windows 7"

Let me know how that goes!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
0 Kudos
ucidxel Top Student
Top Student
9 8 0 0
Message 8 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey Dvortex, I tried and still no such luck. Any other suggestions? Thanks for all of your help thus far.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9856 9841 921 1440
Message 9 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, @ucidxel

Thanks for the update!

That last steps I would suggest is to perform a system recovery. System recovery is the last step to troubleshoot this issue. This option reformats the system drive (usually C:), reinstalls the original operating system and reinstalls all the original hardware drivers and software. All you save files will be lost and your computer will be formatted to the day you purchased the machine.

You can go to http://hp.care/2dW3S5w and follow the steps under "Recovery when Windows 10 does not start correctly".

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
0 Kudos
ucidxel Top Student
Top Student
9 8 0 0
Message 10 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Still no luck, Dvortex, Do you know what the problem could be? It doesn't seem likely that it's hardware but if we've tried everything else then it must be.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation