Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No sound on laptop after Windows 10 automatic update

HP G60-549DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After a recent automatic update to Windows 10, the sound no longer works on my laptop (HP G60-549DX). The computer came with Windows 7, and I upgraded to Windows 10 last year.

Speakers: Conexant Pebble High Definition SmartAudio

I have tried EVERYTHING I could find on forums, and I still have no sound. I even tried to roll back to Windows 7, but the "easy" option is no longer available, as it has been longer than a month since I upgraded. I really don't want to go through anything that's going to make me lose files and apps.

Is there a solution? This is SO FRUSTRATING.

3 REPLIES 3
Retired
Retired
8121 8112 483 922
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the post and Welcome to HP Forums. 

I see you are not getting any audio from your computer after an update in Windows 10. Happy to help. 

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own. 

Do you get any error for the audio driver in device manager?

Have you checked the playback device settings from the taskbar?

Recommend you to run the troubleshooter available in the control panel.

Check if the speaker is set as the default device?

If you have updated or installed UEFI on your computer, you can run an audio playback test.

Also, install and run HP Support Assistant to check for driver updates and to diagnose issues. 

Refer to this article for other troubleshooting steps. 

Let me know how it goes. 

Let me know if this helped. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
EEGH Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for trying to help. No, I get no error messages. I have tried everything you suggested (wasn't able to run the audio test via UEFI because evidently it is not installed on my computer). So I am at step 9 (update the BIOS) of the article you shared the link to. In fact, that's the point I was at when I posted my question to the forum, because the final steps seem a bit daunting. Before I get into trying all of that, what are the chances that one of those options will work? (Or is it possible that none of them will?)

Thanks for your insight

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
8121 8112 483 922
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, recommend you to uninstall the driver again on the computer, please delete the driver when prompted during the uninstallation. 

Restart the computer couple times and check. Have you tried to connect a headphone and check?

To isolate the issue further, whether a hardware or software issue, a recovery would be required. 

If the issue persists after recovery, then it is a hardware issue and a service would be required. 

Let me know how it goes. 

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation