Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 15 PC, 1960, E3S20UA#ABA, F.67, OS VERSION 1909
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

No sound from internal speakers or headphone jack . Ran sound trouble shooter and could not resolve problem. Ran hardware trouble shooter in support asst.  It says that there is no speaker or headphone hardware installed. Went to device manager,  the first device should be sound but not there . Under sound game video controls only the real tech HD audio driver is listed, there was an IDT HD audio device driver, but is now gone. So i go to programs or now its apps and the IDT audio is there. So now i go to HP utility center and reinstall IDT HD sound drivers and the real tech HD audio drivers and reboot. Still no sound, no sound device in device manager and no IDT output devices under the sound ,game, video controllers tab. So how do I reinstall the IDT HD speakers and headphones output devices? 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your HP15-j011dx notebook should not have any Realtek HD audio device listed in the device manager.

I suggest you uninstall the device, check the uninstall driver box, and restart the PC.

If there is any Realtek audio program listed in the Windows control panel>programs, uninstall that too and restart the PC

Your notebook only uses the IDT audio driver.

See if this W10 IDT audio driver from a newer model notebook also works on yours.

Restart the PC after installing the driver.

6.10.6492.0      Jul 17, 2015

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71886.exe

HP Recommended

The W 10 IDT driver pack would not work with my installed hardware. Do you have a link to a download for the  IDT software pack that came on my notebook? I did uninstall the Realtek program  and driver in both device manager and in programs, apps and restarted my notebook,  no change, still no speakers or headphones installed. I can see the IDT program in the apps list, [ the only place I can see it] and have reinstalled the driver from the recovery manager but still no luck. In device manager I still have no Sound to select and now I have no Sound games and controllers to select after removing the Realtek driver and software. Again do you have a link to download the IDT software that came on my notebook. Thanks,

HP Recommended

I do, but I don't believe it will work.

However, you have nothing to lose by trying it.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp63501-64000/sp63555.exe

HP Recommended

Hello again. I tried to install the new link and it gave me the same message, this pack not compatible with installed hardware. I also edited my post above please re read.  So what am I to do now?  This notebook works great, the only problem is sound. Now there is something I forgot to mention before and that is when I started having this problem i went in device manager and in the sound tab { which is now gone] I uninstalled all the devices there hoping to reinstall them and fix the problem. I did not know to go to the Sound ,games and controllers tab and uninstall from there. I think when I uninstalled from the Sound tab is where I made my mistake. I think If you new how to get the sound tab back in device manager I would be on the write track to getting my sound back. What has to be done to get the sound tab back in device manager? Can I go into the Bios and reinstall all programs my notebook came with or what? Thanks.

HP Recommended

At this point, I recommend you copy any files you don't want to lose onto a portable hard drive and factory reset the notebook in the hope that the sound will work again on Windows 8.

See this link for how to factory reset the notebook.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00006110

If the sound works, then you can upgrade back to W10 for free by clicking on the blue Update Now button at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

It is a known problem with the IDT audio system and W10.

On many different models the sound system quits working on W10 and there is no way to fix it.

HP Recommended

Can I install additional external speakers and the software for them and have sound that way?

HP Recommended

Do you have a set of headphones that would work in the headphone jack and see if you have sound?

If so, you should be able to install a set of notebook speakers.

If you get no sound from the headphones, then a set of speakers won't work either.

HP Recommended

Can you recommend a new notebook that has about half the memory of this one, has no problems with sound, or any other unfixable problems with W 10, is as fast or faster than this one, has a good video/ movie maker and has a media player that works well with AVI and MP4 and most other forms of media and has most all the up to date codec for media?  Any advice will help. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately not.

All of my notebooks are about as old as yours, and while the sound works on W10, all I use them for is checking e-Mails and surfing the web.

See if the link to the HP store is of help, where you can browse the different models they have for sale...

https://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/laptops/hp-laptop-344532--1#!&tab=vao

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.