Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I just got a new dv6-2173cl, and it will not reproduce music or sounds in stereo.  The IDT High Def Audio CODEC says it is functioning properly as is the NVIDIA High Def Audio driver (both have been removed and reloaded and that did not solve the problem).   However, there is no stereo separation when playing through the speakers or the headphones.  If I run a test on the "Speakers and Dual headphones" display on Sound, Playback in the Control panel, there is no difference between the right and left channel.  However, if I plug in headphones and do a left/right test under the Independent Dual headphones setting, then  it is stereo.  I spent three hours on the phone with HP and they don't know what to make of it (the first tech that I got from the Philippines said, "Oh, laptops don't play stereo."  Sheesh).  Anyway, any advise would be appreciated.  Or if you're having similar problems, I'd like to hear from you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After two more hours on the phone yesterday, HP finally resolved the issue.  And this may be a problem for others with the same computer because it is an out-of-the-box issue. 

After a complete system restore back to factory condition, there was still no stereo separation from the speakers and headphones. That's because when the system boots for the first time, it leaves one critical setting unmarked.

On your system tray, right click on the speaker icon.  Open playback devices. Double click Speakers and Dual Headphones.  Open the enhancements tab.  And make sure that "Disable all enhancements" is clicked.  

An audio engineer at HP who finally discovered the issue was surprised that the setting had been unchecked at initial startup.  I would suspect that HP will be sending out an update soon.  Thanks for all the help.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Do you get any sound through headphones when you plug them in?

Is the problem with a specific program or filetype?

Do you have your audio controls set to the correct output device?

Assuming that all of these have been checked and the problem is universal, try a power drain (unplug AC and battery, hold down power button for 10 seconds) and then update your BIOS.  Barring that, you may have to get your unit sent in for repair.  Good luck!

EDIT -- Looking up the drivers page for your specific notebook, I don't see any kind of BIOS update available.  If you want, go to http://motherboards.mbarron.net/bios.html and follow it's guides on how to find and properly update your BIOS version.

Though I am an HP employee, I am not here as a representative for them. I am here of my own accord to help those requesting it.

Please demonstrate any appreciation for help with a kudos!
HP Recommended

Yes, headphones work (but not in stereo).  The problem is universal.  Music files, Internet playback, even the left/right HP audio test.  Everything comes out mixed, no stereo.  Audio controls are properly set.  This morning, I'm doing a complete backup then will restore the system to out of the box condition.  I also checked for a BIOS update and like you, none appear to be available.  It may beed to be sent to HP (or returned to Costco).  Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

With reading many annoying problems with laptops from Costco, don't even try and solve this problem. You have a 30 day window to return or replace it. Do one of the two until you are satisfied.

If you want to keep it. I am guessing that it may be a hardware problem. Perhaps the speakers themselves are defective. They are a self contained unit inside a plastic box underneath the switch cover with a 3 point connection. One for ground and the other two are for left and right. Black, white and red. You would have to take the laptop apart to test them with and external amplifier, and because it's under warranty you would have to send it to HP. Costco would just give you another one though.

HP Recommended

After two more hours on the phone yesterday, HP finally resolved the issue.  And this may be a problem for others with the same computer because it is an out-of-the-box issue. 

After a complete system restore back to factory condition, there was still no stereo separation from the speakers and headphones. That's because when the system boots for the first time, it leaves one critical setting unmarked.

On your system tray, right click on the speaker icon.  Open playback devices. Double click Speakers and Dual Headphones.  Open the enhancements tab.  And make sure that "Disable all enhancements" is clicked.  

An audio engineer at HP who finally discovered the issue was surprised that the setting had been unchecked at initial startup.  I would suspect that HP will be sending out an update soon.  Thanks for all the help.

HP Recommended

It's nice a nice feeling when you solve something on your own, well sort of...

Please mark this thread as problem solved so someone else may easily find it.

HP Recommended

Thank you!! This fixed my issue and my headphones are working properly again.

HP Recommended

OMG!!!!  Thank you!  I have been posting on yahoo, twice, about this issue.  no answers and it kept being deleted.

SO SIMPLE!   Periodically over months I tried to fix this and now it is fixed!!!!

HP Recommended

I own a dv6 and have tried to follow the directions to fix the lack of stereo separation, but I do not have Speakers and Headphones, not Speakers and Dual Headphones. It proceeds from there with the actions not available that I'm supposed to take. So I am stalled; what do I do when I don't have Dual headphones? (I have windows 7.)

I need to be able to listen with headphones and stereo separation. Thanks.

HP Recommended
I meant Do have Speakers and Headphones, no Dual
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.