Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP HDX X18T-1200 CTO Premium Notebook PC.

I am running Windows 7 64-bit, Service Pack 1.

Some time ago, the audio stopped working when connecting an HDMI cable to my tv (perhaps after a driver update?). It still outputs on the laptop itself.

Under Control Panel : Sound, the NVIDIA HDMI Output device says it is "Not plugged in" and is grayed out so I can't set it as the default device. I can see the video output on the tv, but the audio doesn't go there with it, even when setting the video mode to Projector Only.

I have tried uninstalling the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC and the NVIDIA High Definition Audio drivers from Device Manager, but that has not helped. The IDT driver is version 6.10.6276.0, and the Nvidia one is 1.2.24.0. Both are as up-to-date as possible I think.

I work in the IT industry, so I'm not a total idiot when it comes to this sort of thing, but this has me perplexed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So here's what I found out...

The link to the Nvidia site provided by maxpower757 also had a link to this page on it: No HDMI audio when graphics card connected to a Philips HDTV. In case the link stops working at some point, here is what it says:

• Some Philips HDMI displays may have issues with certain older NVIDIA graphics cards which could lead to image corruption when audio over HDMI is enabled. In this case, the NVIDIA driver attempts to identify such displays and defaults to disabling the audio if needed. To re-enable audio (note that this could cause image corruption), go to the NVIDIA Control Panel and select the Change resolution page in the Display Menu. Select your HDMI display in Step 1 and then change the Connector in Step 2 to "HDMI-HDTV (Audio-Enabled)" and select Apply.

But when I went to look for this "Connector" setting, it was nowhere to be found. I upgraded my drivers back to the newer versions, and there it was! When I set it back to Audio-Enabled, it popped up a warning, and after clicking Yes, I was able to open the Playback Devices window and set the HDMI as the default device.

Hooray! It's working again! Here's a screenshot of the setting you'd be looking for (notice the Connector setting in the middle of the window).

Nvidia.png

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
HP Recommended

Hi,

Mine is also not plugged in but when I plug in it works. Have you checked your cable ?

nvidia.png

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I have several HDMI cables, and I have swapped out for another known good one (the one that is normally connected to the DVD player). Same problem.

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem. Look forward to a solution.

HP Recommended

I worked in IT for many years and I appreciated all trails leading to success, so here goes...

One:  I cannot find it now to save me, but I know I read this last week (looking for something else semi-related):  the ORDER of events is sometimes the key to success.  Which device Powered on first, second...  This is not the case after the first time - just to get things initialized and working.   Will post if I find it.  If everything else fails to bring joy - turn it all OFF and try different boot sequences.  Yeah, I know...

Here is what I could find today.  It is perhaps related - maybe you can pull some information from it that will help:

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-79711-laptop-sound-on-tv-with-hdmi-cable

Good Luck.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

So I uninstalled drivers and tried to install older ones. So now I have NVIDIA High Definition Audio 1.0.0.55, and IDT High Definition Audio 6.10.6225.0. I also rolled back the display driver for NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M to 8.15.11.8644.

Now the playback devices list shows the NVIDIA HDMI Out correctly, and knows when the cable is plugged in. It also allows me to select it as the default device. But there is still no audio coming out of the TV, even though the bars in the playback devices list show it sending something out.

Closer to the goal it seems, but still not quite there. Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

Edits Made to this Page Content:

31 October 2011

Content Adjusted - Original suggestion would not be useful as presented (as later comments will attest).  Just didn't remenber - it's been a number of years...

Examples left here for only one purpose - reference for sound quality and NOT for HDMI output setup.

Sound quality can be affected by adusting this setting (when balance, treble, other settings) are where the user wants them

and things are still "not right".

monitor_sound.PNG

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried all of the available formats, but none of them produced a result.

HP Recommended

Pawing through this is bringing back memories - too bad it isn't bringing back useful notes...

OK - found this.  You may have already done this...

You have to assign the Default sound set to Digital Output Devices (SPDIF) in the Sound settings Control Panel.

spdif_sound-out.PNG

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

The TV is a Philips LCD TV 40PFL5505D 102cm/40" class Full HD 1080p digital TV.

This is unfortunately the only TV I have.

I noticed in the FAQ that they say "we have seen many cases where having a bad video driver resulted in no HDMI audio" but it seems like using the updated video driver caused more problems than it fixed, based on what I've already explained.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.