Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Student
Message 1 of 2 (177 Views)

Pavilion dv7 Notebook - No Audio

Product Name: HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello, I seem to be having quite the issue with this laptop (apparently many others have this issue as well), I'm trying to get it working for a friend.

name:  HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC

number:  QA668UA#ABA

First thing I noticed was that there were zero Windows Updates installed and zero Restore points created. Nothing needed to be backed up file-wise, went to install Windows 10 and realized that it isn't free anymore, so scratch that idea.

No audio has been able to play through the speakers through Windows. (though when I launched the HP BIOS Hardware Diagnostic Tool, I was able to hardware test the speakers, and they played audio, passed multiple tests)

I've troubleshot every possibility I could think of that could cause something like this.

Installed new audio drivers update (restarted, no sound).

Installed some Windows Updates. No sound.

Installed chipset utility, MEI driver, graphics driver, and display audio drivers. Restarted, no sound still.

Installed HP BIOS updates, and HP BIOS EUFI updates, restarted, still no sound.

Installed 230 more Windows Updates. No sound.

Rolled back audio drivers, restarted, no sound.

Installed older recommended audio drivers, restarted, no audio still...

Installed HP Hardware Diagnostic Tool (was able to get audio to play through speakers during a hardware test in BIOS).

---------------------

That lead me to believe the failure is possibly being caused by software.

Uninstalled audio drivers, restarted. Device Manager Wizard then installed drivers upon logging in. Restarted again, no sound....

Installed most recent audio drivers, restarted, no sound.

Cleaned registry using CCleaner.

Installed more Windows Updates, restarted, no sound.

Performed a "hard reset", still, no sound is coming through the speakers when I turn the laptop on.

--------------------

I give up on troubleshooting for now, but I would like to figure out why the audio isn't playing through the speakers.

If anyone has any suggestions, or can offer me any help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

- cT

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 2 (137 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv7 Notebook - No Audio

Welcome to the HP Forums @cT505, I'd be happy to help you with your friend's HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook. I understand form your description that you have done quite a bit of troubleshooting already and that the sounds works when you test it from the BIOS. 

Please take a look at the following 2 documents and let me know the outcome of your efforts: 

If either of these documents resolve the issue, please be sure to mark your post as solved by clicking the Accept as Solution button below. If the issue continues, let me know and we can go from there. 

Cheers!

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation