Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 5t-eg200
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We just bought some Pavilion 5t-eg200 laptops that came with Windows 11 Home on them but I bumped them down to Windows 10 Pro for the time being to accommodate end users that have not used 11 yet. This broke the drivers for Wifi, audio, and the touchpad (at least) but I used Driver Booster to reinstall them and everything seems fine with the exception of the microphone, which is detected but only detects very low levels (unusable) even with the volume and boost turned all the way up.

I tried uninstalling drivers for the Intel Smart Sound Technology for Digital Microphones as well as the Realtek High Definition Audio driver.

I tried using earbuds with a built in mic in the headphone jack and a USB webcam with built in mic that gave the same results.

I checked for driver updates with Driver Booster and CCleaner Pro.

I'm running out of ideas here besides rolling back up to WIndows 11, which I would prefer not to do, if possible. Any suggestions? Is there no microphone driver for these laptops that works on Windows 10? That seems a little odd to me.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello @aclsit 

Sorry to hear that you are having problems ... I would like to help you.

(1) Create Windows system <restore point>

How to Create a System Restore Point on Windows 10 or Windows 11

(2) Download and install

Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver

6.0.9049.1 Rev.B609.0 MBDec 25, 2020Download

(3) Restart Windows

(4) Test again

(5) Please report your results

HP Recommended

Hi @Ub6424,

Thanks for your reply. I installed the Realtek audio driver you suggested and it did not correct the issue. The mic is still picking up hardly anything.

HP Recommended

Hello @aclsit 

(1Download and install

Information: Equalizer APO

--->>> Download

(2Adjust equalizer to best settings you like

(3Please report your results

HP Recommended

hi @Ub6424. Thank you again for your suggestion.

I downloaded and installed the equalizer but it did not appear to make any difference when I boosted the preamp all the way up and toyed with the EQ a bit to no avail.

I did notice that the Realtek file I installed included the B&O Audio Control program as well, which looked promising but when I try to open it, it says "Can not connect to RPC server". Might that have anything to do with this?

HP Recommended

Hello @aclsit 

Do you have a clean Windows <device manager>? No devices with yellow exclamation mark?

HP Recommended

@Ub6424 I do not see any yellow exclamation marks on any items in Device Manager.

HP Recommended

Hello @aclsit 

(1) Microphone

--->>> Disable Audio Enhancements

(2) Test again

HP Recommended

@Ub6424 so I disabled the audio enhancements and that did not appear to do what I wanted but when I went to check, the Get Help module wanted to reinstall the drivers so I let it and now I can pickup sound from the mic in the voice recorder app and Zoom, which is good.

For some reason, when I test the mic in settings, it still only registers 1 or 0 percent level when talking normally. Doesn't seem 100% but it at least seems to be functional at this point.

HP Recommended

Hello @aclsit 

Now use APO equalizer to tune a little bit.

Kind regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.