junebuggnc Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Pour Sound on new Envy Laptop

HP ENVY 17-ae100 Laptop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Brand new laptop.  Windows Updates current.  The sound quality is very poor.  Whether it is a show with dialogue or music, the sound is not what I would expect with Band & Olufsen speakers.  My old Ideapad from Lenovo sounded a whole lot better.   I've read some of the posts where others are expericing this.  I've not yet tried the unistall driver solution due to the B&O drivers conflicting with HP drivers. 

The is another issue where I will hear soft popping sounds that seem to be coming from the area of the speakers above the Print Screen and Delete keys.   It's usually there are start up and will go away.  After a few minutes it returns, maybe once more then it will be quiet for a long time.  I've not heard it with the headphones on and the quality with the headphones is fine.  Sometimes when I mute the sound it stops and sometimes it doesn't.

Short of me calling customer service and at worst returning the laptop.....are there other options to try along with the driver reinstall?  I also noticed when I open the B&O program, I have no equalizer on the Output tab.  

And just a note, if HP is reading this....you put a light on the mute button....why not on the Num Lock button.  It's irritating to have to hit mutiple keys to determine if Num Lock is on when I could just look at the light!

Would appreciate any direction on solving the sound quality issues.

Thanks,

Junebuggnc

3 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
14622 959 1592
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post

Hi @junebuggnc,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!  I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having issues with the sound quality on your new HP Envy Notebook. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

Splendid effort and fabulous description of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you.

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

Have you tried to update all the drivers using HP Support Assistant?

Have you tried to update the Bios?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the notebook

Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset". Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer:

1. If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown.

If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.

2. With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.

3. With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.

4. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to uninstall the audio drivers on your PC from Device manager: 

Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand sound video and game controllers>then select the sound drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the audio drivers.

Then check the box delete the software for this device.

Then restart the computer and update the Bios, Chipset and audio drivers on your PC from our HP support website, using this link.

Once done, restart the computer and check of the results.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
junebuggnc Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post

I have not attempted to update the Bios. Can you provide instructions for that? I did attempt to disable/delete the driver for the Relatek and let Windows rediscover that. That caused me to loose sound completely. After messing around for an hour to 90 minutes on one of the multiple reboots sound returned, but still the same tin can like or in a tunnel volume like it was originally.

Thanks for the assitance!

Junebuggnc

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
14622 959 1592
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post

Hi @junebuggnc,

As I understand you need assistance in updating the Bios, don't worry as I have found a wonderful document, which will give you step by step instructions on how to follow it.

HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please. Please note that I am not overloading you with a lot of troubleshooting steps. Instead, just like you, I am eager to ensure that the problem gets resolved. So I am providing you with more resources and information at your disposal to deal with the situation better.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation