Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robbie
Level 2
23 22 0 7
Message 21 of 30
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Re: No Audio Since Windows 10 (Fall Creators) Update. Problem: Audio Device Not Plugged In?

Hi DHM48

Good to read it worked! The only issue I've noticed with the workaround is that in HP's Audio Control feature (accesible via Control Panel on my laptop, other laptops may have a different audio control setup) is that the Audio Enhancements feature, which included a graphic equaliser, is blank. It's not an problem for me as I use external speakers as my laptop speakers aren't that great but others may find that they have lost the ability to enhance the sound on their laptop speakers.

aaqibarain
3 3 0 0
Message 22 of 30
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Re: No Audio Since Windows 10 (Fall Creators) Update. Problem: Audio Device Not Plugged In?

I am facing the same problem. I also have one of the Omen 15-ce00 models.

It happened just today after I updated the HP Omen Bios. It also installed some Windows updates after replacing the old Bios with the newer one. I've been getting the Red cross on my speaker icon ever since. No sound!

The "Intel HD Audio" appeared under "other devices" in the Device Manager. Under "Sound, video and game controllers" there's just this NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device driver. The Intel HD Audio driver has an excalamation mark on its icon and God knows what it wants from us. I've uninstalled it several times, it comes back everytime I reboot or check for hardware changes.

One lucky time, after uninstalling the Intel HD Audio from Device Manager, I installed the latest Realtek driver update (SP89052), linked by an HP representative on another thread with similar problem, and rebooted my laptop only after the new driver installed. When I logged back into Windows, the audio had returned, it was all working fine except that the Omen Audio Control (that allows you to tweak bass, treble and voice clarity) was no longer in the taskbar. I searched it up in the Start Menu and found the application launcher there, but to my bad luck, when I clicked it the audio icon got the red cross back and the audio stopped working once again. The Intel HD Audio also reappeard in the Device Manager under the same "other devices" tab. The Omen Audio Control application didn't work either. I don't know if Omen Audio Control has any special advantage besides the manual tweaking options, but it did have the tuned by Bang and Olufsen label on it. It also had options for microphone, which was pretty useful and relevant to me.

It is sad and disappointing to see this sort of an issue coming from HP and Microsoft. They should be aware of the issue and resolve it ASAP, IF they are to justify their leading customer care and higher priced laptops.

Also, if it is relevant to anyone getting "Realtek HD Audio driver instalation failure [error code: -0001]" when trying to install the latest Realtek driver, you have uninstall the Intel HD Audio driver from the Device Manager first, it should work then.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
schidakov
Level 3
16 13 3 13
Message 23 of 30
Flag Post
HP Recommended

PontitrPan
1 1 0 0
Message 24 of 30
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It worked for me then it asked me to restart again then every thib=ng went back and i still can't fix it

0 Kudos
schidakov
Level 3
16 13 3 13
Message 25 of 30
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did you perform a rollback SST-drivers to stock ones? That's extremely important.

If not, Windows 10 will contuniue substitute a newer Intel driver that will break our solution.

0 Kudos
aaqibarain
3 3 0 0
Message 26 of 30
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Okay, so the work around that Robbie suggested worked for me, but it did take me a couple of tries because he didn't mention which Realtek driver to choose from the list. The audio is back on, and it has returned to the last audio driver that was running on this laptop, but the Omen Audio Control (or the "audio control settings" as labelled in the HP Audio Switch that you can find in the taskbar) is no longer available. It doesn't open up, and it is nowhere to be found. I am not sure if we can download that separately, but I hope HP comes up with a permanent solution to this mess up soon. I want those tweaking options back.

For now, here's a step-by-step workaround guide to restore your audio back:

1. Search for "Device Manager" in the Windows Start Menu Search Bar, and open it up;

2. Click on "Other devices" to expand it, and then double-click on Intel HD Audio;

3. Go to the "Driver" tab and then click on "Update Driver";

4. Select "Browse my computer for driver software";

5. Select "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer";

6. A long list would open up divided into "Manufacturer" on the left and "Model"on the right. Scroll down to "Realtek" under the "Manufacturer" column on the left. Once you find Realtek there, click it. That will open up a list of Realtek drivers on the right side;

7. Don't choose the top most one, scroll down to the last one. It will be Realtek High Defination Audio (SST), select that (please note that you'll find a number of drivers with this exact same title, choose the one at the bottom of the list);

8. An update driver warning will pop-up saying it could result in incompatibility, just select "Yes" and it will install that driver and ask you to restart;

9. Restart and you'll get your audio back! The same options we had before this Windows Updates, except for that Omen Audio Control.

We can wait a while for HP to fix this permanently and restore all accompanying features and applications, but until then, it will hopefully work like a charm!

Update: The Omen Audio Control main application can be accessed via the Control Panel, it does have it's graphical Black looks, and microphone noise cancellation feature working, but the Bang and Olufsen experience is greyed out and you cannot enable it. 

Update 2: After following the above steps and update, I tried to install the latest Realtek driver SP89052 (posted by HP yesterday). It first uninstalled the previous Realtek driver, and after a reboot, it installed the latest one and rebooted again. All the audio features were enabled, including the Omen Audio Control Output Equalizer. Then came a notification from Windows to restart/reboot so that it can configure the Intel HD Audio SST driver. Apparently, there was no way out of it, since it would have configured it whenever I shut down the laptop and turned it back on. So, I restarted to see what happens, and it was back to Intel HD Audio and no sound curse! I followed by steps again and tried to update it in the device manager, but this time there was only one Realtek driver called "Realtek High Definition Audio." I selected the only option and updated it. Everything went back to normal, except that this time the Output Bang and Olufsen equalizer section was all blank. The feature is gone altogether. Lol! But the audio is back on, all other features are back, so that will do for now, until HP finds a solution!

0 Kudos
drexciya28
1 1 0 0
Message 27 of 30
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I uninstalled the most recent Windows update (appwiz.cpl, uninstalled the update installed on 10-10) and also performed the action you described (install the Realtek driver for the Intel audio device) and after a reboot (and waiting for the stupid Windows update to finish the uninstall), it worked. Very strange that a Windows update messes things up like this. Then again the 1809 update has been a big fail to begin with. I'm not touching that build at all.
0 Kudos
papajes
1 1 0 0
Message 28 of 30
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello dears. Just want to share how I made it working again. I dunno if this is the correct way but atleast it is working for now. I tried to uninstall the Realtek High Definition Audio driver and all of it's components in Apps and Feature then it asked me to restart the computer. After restarting, the audio is back. Hope it helps.

0 Kudos
Robbie
Level 2
23 22 0 7
Message 29 of 30
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi DHM48

Good to read it worked! The only issue I've noticed with the workaround is that in HP's Audio Control feature (accesible via Control Panel on my laptop, other laptops may have a different audio control setup) is that the Audio Enhancements feature, which included a graphic equaliser, is blank. It's not an problem for me as I use external speakers as my laptop speakers aren't that great but others may find that they have lost the ability to enhance the sound on their laptop speakers.

Just an update to this. The Audio Enhancements feature has returned and so I now have the treble, bass etc controls back along with the Graphic Equaliser. I don't know what made them return and I can't see any further driver etc updates other than a failed attempt at installing KB4468550 which is a fix for the Intel audio problem. As I have Reatek audio I suppoose that accounts for why it failed but it seems to have done the trick of fixing the Audio Enhancements in the HP Audio Control feature. This is the first time my laptop has been in use since last Thursday so I can't think of anything else that has resolved the issue.

0 Kudos
aaqibarain
3 3 0 0
Message 30 of 30
Flag Post
HP Recommended

UPDATE

So there's good news for everybody. The issue has been fixed with the latest Windows update. All the features are back, and the audio is working like a charm.

Mine updated just now! If the new update solved the issue for you too, please do let others know here so that they can follow the same and get it resolved for real. 🙂

Here's the updated article on it from HP: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4468550/audio-stops-working-after-installing-intel-audio-dr...

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation