Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 15-ce012ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there!

I have a very strange issue: since installing a Windows 10 October update (aka 1809) my Omen 15 laptop worked perfectly with Realtek HD onboard audio.

But two days before, when powering off my Omen, system prompted to install a new update, Of course, I agreed and switched off laptop.

Yesterday, I started Omen, system warned about final installation of update, WIndows 10 booted, but strangely, audio disappeared completely!

Windows' Device manager showed Intel High Definition audio device, but its icon was red (i.e. device did not work correctly).

Device ID, I noticed, was intelaudio\func_01&ven_10ec&dev_0295&subsys_103c8390&rev_1000, starting with a INTELAUDIO (that's important!)

I found a hidden device called Realtek HD audio (that worked correctly before), but its ID started with HDAUDIO!

Updates log showed a latest update was something like 'Intel System....' (sorry, I cannot write it by mind, but Omen is currently offline).

What could go wrong?

Please help and thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Solution is here!

Look what I found: as many users said, Intel SST could be a clue and issue of this strange behavior.

I even tried to completely remove SST-devices (they a two in my Device Manager) and install Realtek driver. Here they are (captions are in Russian, but you can easily find these appropriate devices):

Screen 4.png

Sound worked then, but in 3 minutes all gone back: Windows forced to install back SST-driver and Realtek audio device turned to unworking Intel Audio device back:

Screen 1.png

I even tried to completely remove drivers with a Driver Store Explorer utility, but still no luck:

Screen 7.png

Strangely, I went thru these SST-devices and tried to rollback drivers, and - luckily! - one of the devices allowed to return stock Microsoft HDA driver!

Screen 8.png

Any Intel HDA mentions disappeared immediately and Realtek audio performed as 100%-working device!

Even after couple of reboots all working well!

Hope, this might help with similar sound issues!

View solution in original post

68 REPLIES 68
HP Recommended

i uninstalled realtek audio from programs.. idk y but its working now. intel sst is having a conflict on our omens

HP Recommended

I completely re-installed Realtek audio, but still, no sound...

But SST may be an issue, I'll try to unstall it or remove a driver

Thank you, I'll post changes later

HP Recommended

how do we remove sst. i got it working but the very next restart brought the sst back and it started all over again

HP Recommended

Solution is here!

Look what I found: as many users said, Intel SST could be a clue and issue of this strange behavior.

I even tried to completely remove SST-devices (they a two in my Device Manager) and install Realtek driver. Here they are (captions are in Russian, but you can easily find these appropriate devices):

Screen 4.png

Sound worked then, but in 3 minutes all gone back: Windows forced to install back SST-driver and Realtek audio device turned to unworking Intel Audio device back:

Screen 1.png

I even tried to completely remove drivers with a Driver Store Explorer utility, but still no luck:

Screen 7.png

Strangely, I went thru these SST-devices and tried to rollback drivers, and - luckily! - one of the devices allowed to return stock Microsoft HDA driver!

Screen 8.png

Any Intel HDA mentions disappeared immediately and Realtek audio performed as 100%-working device!

Even after couple of reboots all working well!

Hope, this might help with similar sound issues!

HP Recommended

Thanks! I have an OMEN 17 which had the exact same issue, and this solution worked for me as well.

HP Recommended

You can also notice that this driver was installed 4 (FOUR) time! That's not normal, per say:

Screen 5.png

I think this exact driver forced to our laptops and bricked Realtek (and maybe other) devices!

HP Recommended

I've fixed the Hp omen 15  no audio issue with just from device manager. Please continue the steps: 

1. Press to the system devices part from the list in the device manager folder

2. Choose the ''update driver''

3. Explore the driver from the computer (not from the net !)

4. There will be two options & Choose ''HD audio..'' option, apply it and done ! Congrats ! 

HP Recommended

where can i find a tutorial on doing this?

HP Recommended

Windows key + X to see menu

Go into Device Manager

Scroll to System Devices

Locate an audio driver that has these letters in its description 'SST'  - this is the one that displaced your previous driver.

Right click, select Update Driver,  it will offer to browse computer or List, click List and there should be a High Def Audio and an SST option, you need the High Def one. Next to finish

SST will disappear from System Devices and you should have Audio back

Tried and tested on 2 machines now so it works, any other method like rollback will prob cause the SST to be reinstalled at some point, probbaly immediately !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.