Intern
36 20 1 1
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Seperate Audio Into Multiple Channels

HP ENVY 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

(I’m including a screenshot of my current audio setup.) My laptop has Beats Audio and a Realtek sound card (audio driver version 6.0.1.7553; installed Tuesday, 04/18/2017), as well as (1) combination audio-out (headphone)/audio-in (microphone) jack.

I recently bought an RCA “Y” jack adapter (shown here) from Best Buy to connect my 5.1 channel home theatre to my laptop. To my dismay, sound only comes out of the front-right speaker of my home theatre. (I thought it would come out of both front speakers.) I called Best Buy to see if a 3.5mm Mini-to-RCA Stereo audio cable (shown here) would allow sound to come out of 2 speakers. They said it does not depend on if the cable has both white and red plugs/jacks, but rather if my laptop’s sound card is capable of splitting audio into separate channels. That led me to this forum. Does my current setup have that capability?

Current Audio Setup - 10092017.png

5 REPLIES 5
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9856 9841 921 1463
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, @masteryoda1041 – Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for your continued participation on the HP Forums! I'd like to help!

I understand that you are trying to setup the 5.1 speaker system. To assist you better, I need to know the model number of your PC. If unsure, please check: http://hp.care/2oPCMBG

Alternatively, try to follow the steps here to setup your speaker system: http://bit.ly/2y9mR2W

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
36 20 1 1
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Dvortex,

Thanks for responding! I am indeed well.

PLEASE NOTE THE CHANGE IN OPERATING SYSTEM MENTIONED. MY POST ORIGINALLY SAID MICROSOFT WINDOWS VISTA (64-BIT). HOWEVER, IT SHOULD HAVE SAID (AND NOW DOES SAY) MICROSOFT WINDOWS 10 (64-BIT).

Is the PC "model number" (as you said) the same as the PC "product number?" If yes, my PCs model number is G0T55AV (the "0" is a zero). I have a non-touchscreen version of the ENVY 15t-k000 CTO (like the one shown here).

You are correct (to a degree).

To reiterate what I said in my original post, my main goal is to get sound to come out of 2 speakers (the front-left and front-right) of my home theatre. (If I can get it to come out of the center, surround-left, and surround-right speakers as well, that would just be a bonus.) Currently, it only comes out of the front-right speaker.

Best Buy told me that the ability to get sound to come out of more than one speaker is not dependent on the "Y" jack adapter having TWO RCA jacks (red  AND white), but rather on my laptop's sound card having the ability to split audio into multiple channels.

Basically, what I'm asking is this: is my current setup (as can be seen in the description and screenshots from my original post) capable of splitting audio? If yes, how do I do it? If no, is there an update available for my audio driver that would allow me to do it?

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9856 9841 921 1463
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, @masteryoda1041

Thanks for the update!

Looking at the specifications, I'm afraid that your PC will not support 5.1 audio channel 😞 

You need to add a 5.1 channel audio card on the computer to get this working. Currently, your Pc can only support 2.1 channel, hence the audio only on 2 speakers. 

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

Good luck 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
36 20 1 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Dvortex,

Thanks for responding!

It does not adequately answer my concern.  I'm not sure you understand. I'm not even getting 2.1. All the sound is coming out of a single home theatre speaker. When I "Test" the speakers via the "Playback" tab of the "Sound" control panel, sound plays twice, but only out of one speaker.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9856 9841 921 1463
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, @masteryoda1041

Thanks for the update!

Please contact the HP phone support to get further assistance. 

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I’ll do my best to help!

Good luck 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation