cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Solution found for low level or no microphone.

HP Recommended
ENVY Laptop

All,
I have found the solution for this and it's quite simple (but not without risk) and it's definitely an HP design flaw that should be addressed.
I had the same issue where the microphone audio slowly degraded over time yet when I tested the microphones I noticed that they would respond to taps on the screen but not to any spoken audio.  This lead me to believe that the microphones were good but the audio pathway was somehow impeded. 
I only wish I would have taken pictures before writing this.
The issue is a mechanical one.  The acoustic audio path is being muffled by two little pieces of sticky-back foam that slide down over time and cover the tiny holes on the microphones thus muting the audio.
There are two very tiny microphones to the left and right of the camera behind the touchscreen display.  The acoustic path to these microphones  is via two very tiny holes that you can see left and right of the camera between the top of the glass touchscreen and the bezel.
In order to fix this you need to reposition those small cushions so that the hole in the middle of the cushion aligns with the hole in the microphone. (my guess is that the heat from the display and movement of the display, over time, causes the cushions to migrate downward).
In order to reposition these cushions you will need to separate the display from the front cover.  I'm not going to go into detail on this at all but will say that there are videos on the Web showing how this is done.  Disclaimer...You can permanently damage your display if you decide to do this yourself.
These cushions are less than 3/16" tall by about 1/8" wide and have a small ~1/32" hole on the lower half of the pad.  They are black rubber-like material with an adhesive backing.  Once I had the display popped out so that I could pull it about 1" or so from the top of the screen I simply used a pair of tweezers to remove and reposition the cushions making sure to align the hole in the cushion with the tiny pinhole in the face of the microphones.  Popped the screen back together, powered up the laptop and tested the microphone.  Worked just like new.
I challenge HP to prove me wrong on this.

Tags (1)
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation