Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sound begins to croak after I pause/resume playing a video file

HP 15-ac140ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

The situation is as follows:

I recently bought the HP laptop. It is absolutely new. After I configured the Windows 10, I tried to watch video files and faced the problem with the sound.

When I start to watch any video file (movie, TV show, etc.), the sound is fine. Then, I pause the video and wait for 10-15 seconds. After I resume the video, the sound begins to croak. Every time. Nothing helps until I close the file and start it again. When I start the file again, the sound is perfect again. So, if I don’t use pause, the sound is perfect, but after I pause the video, the sound corrupts. Always. This situation repeats in various players – PowerMediaPlayer, VLC player, KMP player, etc.

What I tried:

1. I tried to uninstall all audio drivers and play files in the PowerMediaPlayer – the problem persists.
  2. I tried to uninstall all audio drivers, then install the latest Realtek Audio driver and plae files in the PowerMediaPlayer – the problem persists.
  3. I tried to lower the system volume and player volume to 20% – the problem persists.

So, I don’t know what to do – this problem is very annoying. I cannot watch movies freely, because if I use pause, I will always have to close the file, start it again, search for the last point and resume watching. Every time. It’s absolutely frustrating.

Please, help me to troubleshoot this!

6 REPLIES 6
Retired
Retired
18,630 17,373 953 2,195
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @suzdalina,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums!  

I have read that you are having issues with the sound. 

Try this:

1. Right click the Speaker icon in the bottom right corner by your time.
2. Click Playback Devices.
3. Click Speakers.
4. Click properties.
5. Click the advanced tab on the Properties window.
6. Change the Default Format drop-down to the highest quality.
7. Apply the properties.
8. Click OK to close the properties window. Restart the Notebook and test the sound.

Please let me know how this goes.

To express your appreciation for my post please click the Thumbs up icon.  

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
suzdalina Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Mrstenter!

I did what you advised me to. But it has no effect at all.

So, I changed Default Format from '24 bit, 44100 Hz (Studio Quality)' into '24 bit, 192000 Hz (Studio Quality)' /highest possible\, but the problem persists.

I also tried to lower the quality from '24 bit, 44100 Hz (Studio Quality)' into '16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality)', but it all the same.

While playing videos, I can only see that  the grey portion of the green/grey Speaker volume progress bar grows into upper limit, when playing relatively loud sounds from video file (even when volume level is just 20%)... So, such croaking looks like cut-off in sound because of this. /I could provide a screenshot of this./

The only way I currently cope with the problem is to set Speaker volume to 60%, and Applications volume - to only 3%. This helps at least minimize croaking, but film sound is too loud with this setting.

But it's just my observations, and I still need help!

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
18,630 17,373 953 2,195
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @suzdalina,

Does this only happen with Videos? 

What Browser are you using?

I would try to reload the factory installed BIOS Setup settings. http://ow.ly/Jsqq302g0dj.

Let me know how this works.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
suzdalina Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
18,630 17,373 953 2,195
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @suzdalina,

You will need to contact HP. http://ow.ly/3NJJ302fEju.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Dom6126 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Made an account 3 years later just to say thank  you for helping me fix the problem. So thank you! Have a great day!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation