Tutor
10 0 0
Message 1 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sound coming out speakers and headphones

Pavilion dv7
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I didn't have sound in headphones, so I used HP Support Assistant to get the right audio driver. Now sound comes out both speakers and headphones.

Reading around the web, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling driver. That didn't help. I do not have an additional Sound software conflicting with it. I do not have a headset under Recording, only microphone.

Looking at Sound under Control Panel, it has:

• Speakers and Headphones  IDT High Definition Audio CODEC - it says this even when I don't have headphones plugged in
  • Communications Headphones IDT High Definition Audio CODEC (Unplugged) -this option is grayed out.

tia

15 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9854 921 1377
Message 2 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, @pemay – Hope you are well :)

Thanks for reaching out. This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips.

I see that you are having audio issues with the HP Pavilion notebook. Try using the HP guided solutions to try and fix the issue. Check here: http://hp.care/2jD2uGp 

If the issue still persists, try the steps below:

• Go to device manager (You can give a right click on windows logo on bottom left corner of your screen and select device manager from the list)
  • Now maximize the “Sound, video and game controllers” from the list. You will see the audio driver. Right-click on “Realtek high definition audio CODEC” (It might be a different brand as well) and select “Update driver software”.
  • Select “Browse my computer for driver software” – Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.
  • Select “High Definition Audio Device” (Not Realtek High Def...  This is important) and click Next. You will get a warning message but reply “Yes”.
  • Once windows have successfully updated the driver software, try playing the audio again and check.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Cheers :)

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
zoelambert Tutor
Tutor
10 0 0
Message 3 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for replying!

I did what you said. Now it only plays out of the speakers, even when the headphones are plugged in.

Speakers is now the only device showing under Sound too.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9854 921 1377
Message 4 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @zoelambert

Appreciate your efforts :)

Go to http://hp.care/2jtrmOw and download and install the IDT audio drivers. Once the install is completed, restart your PC and then check.

Let me know if that helps :)

Thank you!

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
zoelambert Tutor
Tutor
10 0 0
Message 5 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I got this error:

"This hardware detected is not supported by this IDT software package. The install will be aborted."

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9854 921 1377
Message 6 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @zoelambert

Thanks for the update!

Could you please confirm the complete product number of your notebook. You can check http://hp.care/2birAqW for assistance.

Thanks! I'll watch for your reply!

DVortex
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
zoelambert Tutor
Tutor
10 0 0
Message 7 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for all your help.

Here we go:

Product number: A3F79AV

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9854 921 1377
Message 8 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @zoelambert

Thanks for the reply!

Please click http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp57501-58000/sp57966.exe and install the new audio drivers.

Also, update the Windows if possible.

Restart your PC once done and then check.

Hope that helps. Let me know!

Cheers :)

DVortex
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
zoelambert Tutor
Tutor
10 0 0
Message 9 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same thing: sound comes out of both speakers and headphones.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9854 921 1377
Message 10 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @zoelambert

Let's give this one more try. Try the steps below:

Solution 1:

1. Go into Control Panel, then Sound.
  2. Look for the Recording tab.
  3. Select your microphone/headset as the default device, and press OK.

Solution 2:

1. From the control panel, Hardware and Sound page, open the Realtek HD Audio Manager]. 
  2. To the right of the page, click on the Analog folder (Connector settings) icon. 
  3. Check the box to enable a pop-up box when a device is plugged in and click "OK" 
  4. Plug in your earphones and when the box pops up, click on headphones (vs. lline out)  

If these steps do not work, this Microsoft forum has a few more suggestions: http://hp.care/2juaS8z 

Please let me know your results. Thanks!

DVortex
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation