Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just went through a major system update on Windows 10, and now the sound quality is considerably worse. It's as if I've replaced my surprisingly good laptop speaker with one of those cheap speakers from like 15 years ago. I tried enabling Loudness Equalization in the speaker properties settings, but all that did was boost the volume, not the sound quality.

How do I get my good sound quality back? I do not want to have to undo the update; it was a HUGE update and I really don't want to spend that kind of time. Isn't there something simple I can do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if this audio driver resolves the problem.

Install and restart the PC.

This package contains the driver that enables the IDT High-Definition (HD) Audio in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp63501-64000/sp63555.exe

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to reinstall the W10 audio driver from your notebook's support page and restart the PC.

The W10 Creator's Update removed the correct audio drivers from 4 of my PC's, and replaced them with a generic Microsoft HD audio driver.

I had to install the applicable audio drivers from my PC's support pages, or directly from Realtek for 2 of them.

HP Recommended

I went over to the drivers and software downloads section. I entered my serial number and product number to get my PC. The only versions of Windows that show in the downloads options are 7, 8, and 8.1! I have Windows 10! What am I supposed to do now?

HP Recommended

What is the full model number or product number of your notebook?

The product number can be found on the same sticker as the serial number.

HP Recommended

Product number: C8P47AV

HP Recommended

Hi:

See if this audio driver resolves the problem.

Install and restart the PC.

This package contains the driver that enables the IDT High-Definition (HD) Audio in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp63501-64000/sp63555.exe

HP Recommended

That did it! My speakers sound as good as new. Thank you!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.