Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17-n000 Notebook PC (Touch)

Couldn’t edit my original post so I thought it best to create a new one with all the updated information.

Sound distortions since early/mid December, immediately following large Microsoft update, approximately 12/16/2017. 

Popping, crackling, high pitched stutter like sounds during operation and on boot after the HP logo shows up.  System does not appear to make sounds when unplugged from AC Adapter.  Worsens when multiple browser windows are active.  Also makes sounds from laptop speakers when sound is muted or headphones are plugged in. 

Purchased new AC Adapter, installed and ran the latest versions of both BIOS based and Windows based HP Diagnostic Utilities, no errors found.  Battery check shows no faults.  Battery was exchanged under the recall.

System

HP ENVY Notebook - 17t-n000 CTO (Touch) (ENERGY STAR)

Product# M9X68AV

Windows 10 64bit

BIOS F.47 Rev A 12/25/2017

Drivers

RealTek High Definition Audio – Driver 6.0.1.7730 1/26/2016

NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM) – Driver 4.4.0.0 12/13/2017

Intel® Display Audio – Driver 8.20.0.922 4/16/2016

System Devices – High Definition Audio Controller – Driver 10.0.16299.15 9/26/2017

Intel Serial I/O Controller - 30.100.1724.1 6/14/2017

All drivers appeal up to date per HP Support website, HPSA and Intel.

Searching the HP Support Forum I am seeing this problem across multiple HP laptop hardware platforms using different onboard audio devices.  The majority of the problems seem to have appeared immediately after the latest large Microsoft update that rolled out fall 2017.  I have tried multiple variations of the fixes suggested but have not found any solutions.  It has been over a month now and I desperately need to get this problem solved.   Could this be some kind of ACPI or power managment driver problem?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi @BlindMike,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query on this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are getting crackling noise from the speakers in the background after a recent Windows update.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Awesome job on diagnosing the issue correctly and performing smart troubleshooting before posting your question on HP forums. Kudos to you on that score.

I recommend you uninstall the audio driver from device manager and then install the driver from the below link.

http://hp.care/2nikIQ9

Here is how it is done.

Uninstall:

1. Start Control Panel, click Hardware and Sound, and then click Device Manager.
  2. Expand the node that represents the type of device that you want to uninstall, right-click the device entry, and click Uninstall.
  3. On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK to start the uninstall process.
  4. When the uninstall process is complete, remove the device.

NOTE: On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click the Delete the driver software for this device option to delete the driver package that was used for the device.

If the issue persists, follow the steps in the below article.

http://hp.care/2xSAkeK

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@The_Fossette

Did the driver uninstall and re-install but did not correct the issues.  

Moved on to the second link you provided.

Step 3:  Headphones and external speakers do not make the poping/crackling/stuttering sounds.  However, these sounds still come out of the internal speakers when headphones and external speakers are attached.

Steps 7 & 9:  Confirmed BIOS was updated to latest version available on support site F.47 and that it was set to defaults.

Steps 10 & 11:  I am very hesistant to perform these steps as I believe once Windows Update runs and updates to the latest version the issue will return.  Prior to doing this can you please check to see if there are any driver updates for my system that have been released  or are in the process of being released since the Windows 10 (1709) fall updates?

HP Recommended

Hi @BlindMike,

Thank you for keeping me posted.

Please find the link below for the latest audio driver available for your computer.

http://hp.care/2DyE2MZ

Let me know how it goes.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@The_Fossette

I have reinstalled and confirmed all drivers are up to date via HPSA and Windows Update but the problem still persists.

Like many others, these problems began immediately after rebooting for the Microsoft Creators update installed in December.

If the AC Adapter is unplugged from my Envy 17-n000 Touch M9X68AV there are no sound problems.  But, if the AC Adapter is plugged in the speakers make popping crackling sounds, and squealing sounds.  The sounds are all bass and no treble.  These sounds also occur on boot after the HP logo apears.  I have tried replacing the AC Adapter and this did not solve the issue. 

I am still very hesistent to do a clean install as I do not feel that will solve the issue, but it has been 6 frustrating weeks of troubleshooting and I desperately need this laptop for VOIP and Video Conferencing.  I will be creating a full backup and doing the clean install on Tuesday,  January 30th unless you can provide additional options.  If the clean install does not solve the issue I will need to purchase a new touch screen laptop.  Can you contact me via private message to let me know of any discounts, or coupon codes that may be available or if there is a trade-in program.  Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi @BlindMike,

It looks like you were interacting with @The_Fossette, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out,

I'm the Flower_Bud & I'm at your service.

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉

I appreciate your time and efforts

You could try creating a new user account and check the functionality of speakers in a new account. Refer to the article to create a new account. 

If the issue persists, you could perform a System Recovery. 

Note 1: Make sure you're connecting the charger which came along with your computer.  Also, try connecting the charger to a different wall outlet.

Note 2: Please back up your personal data before performing a system recovery.

Keep me posted!

Cheers 🙂

HP Recommended

@Flower_Budd & @The_Fossette

Thank you both for your help and recomendations.  After attempting the sollutions you both have recommended and ensuring that I was using the correct OEM AC Adapter and correct OEM replacement AC Adapter I did a complete clean installation of my system.

After the clean installation the system sound worked perfectly.  I left the computer on overnight and Windows installed many of the required updates.  After a few reboots the next morning the problem is back again.  This is a clean HP recovery media installation plus current Windows updates.  I then attempted to resolve the issue by ensuring all the drivers were correct by runnnig the HPSA.  All is correct but the sound problem had returned.  

We have now ruled out hardware issues and placed the blame for the audio problems solely on HP drivers and software.  It has been over a month and a half and no sollution has been found.  I would like to speak to someone through private message, emails or telephone who can assist me in finding a resullution.  

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hello @The_Fossette? @Flower_Budd?  Any HP Tech that can escalate this issue?  Fast approaching 2 months with issue.  I"ll need to purchase a new notebook if it cannot be resolved quickly, cannot be without VOIP & Skype communications.

HP Recommended

10 days with zero response to my last update on the issue.  I can't help but feel my issue was abandoned as sson as the techs realized it wasn't as simple as a driver update.  

Bueller?....Bueller?.....Bueller??

HP Recommended

Hi @BlindMike,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.