Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17 ab200na

Can someone please help me get my audio working once more for videos.  My laptop is 8 months old, the sound worked fine but now it starts off playing videos then the sound gradually just fades away or fades and breaks up until it disappears. I am not a computer expert and my laptop is only used for general things and is not used for anything fancy at all. I have gone through the HP Support Assistant and gave up in the end because it was just far too technical for me to understand let alone follow and action.   Standard laptop sounds work okay. I have updated the sound drivers, re booted my laptop, uninstalled and re installed the driver. Thank you and apologies for being someone who needs a very simple explanation please. 

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Have you tried clearing your cache and history in the browser? Also, have you tried another browser? If you're using Edge for Youtube maybe try Internet Explorer.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.  I have tried playing the youtube video on Explorer and Edge but with same result - sound will not play.  If I delete cache / browsing history will it delete all the password information etc?

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.  I have tried playing the youtube video on Explorer and Edge but with same result - sound will not play.  If I clear cache  and browsing history will it delete all the password information etc?

HP Recommended

In Edge, under settings there's a box for "Choose what to clear". 

HP Recommended

Also, try right clicking the sound icon in the taskbar and  choose "Open Volume Mixer".  There may be a couple of entries there, Speaker/Headphones and System  sounds. Click on Speaker/Headphones, then choose the Advanced tab. If it's on 24 bit already, then try  16 bit in the dropdown and vice versa if it's already on 16 bit. Also make sure both the  boxes under "Exclusive Media" are checked.

HP Recommended

Thank you yet again for your reply.  I have deleted cache and browsing history but the problem is unfortunately still there.  Apologies that my previous reply posted 4 times, it kept telling me to retry. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for that suggestion.  I have done as you suggested with the sound icon and the sound plays fine in both 16 and 24 bit.  Both boxes were ticked.  I can get Windows sounds okay on the laptop, just not video playback sounds.

HP Recommended

And you say this is with any video, not just YouTube? 

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help. Yes, I have the no-sound problem when I play any video, not just youtube. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.